Karma 1569
Acceptance 759
Reading Access 50
Registered 6-3-2008
Status Offline
Post at 31-10-2012 23:04  Profile P.M. 
Font size: S M L
Long stay HK

Where would I look for a long stay (2-3 months) in HK?

It would do my head in to stay in a hostel for 2-3 months. A hotel would be astronomical, and I don't want to stay with my douche extended family, who will snipe and be snidey about it.

I'm thinking a short let apartment somewhere in HK?

What sort of $$$$$ am I looking to pay for this?

Thanks

Life is short very...
cruman999
Erotic Emperor

UID 86004
Digest Posts 0
Credits 2450
Posts 616
Karma 2367
Acceptance 1652
Reading Access 60
Registered 10-3-2012
Status Offline
Post at 1-11-2012 13:34  Profile P.M. 
Try this, just fill out the form and the places listed that match will contact you.

http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/property/serviced.asp

Recent Ratings
Kennichi   3-11-2012 05:26  Acceptance  +2   
DArtagnan (unofficial Mayor of the Forum)
Master Mongerer

UID 12884
Digest Posts 0
Credits 5034
Posts 4392
Karma 4928
Acceptance 2111
Reading Access 80
Registered 10-7-2008
Location Pitcairn
Status Offline
Post at 1-11-2012 16:05  Profile P.M. 
Reply #1 Kennichi's post

you can get short term serviced appartments

... though many of them will try to sign you up for 6 months or more ... 3 months is realistic

On HK island, most of the places I checked out last year were around $25k-$40k ... obviously targetting corporate budgets

There's a huge complex near Hung Hom train station, used to advertised studio flats for $10,000 - might be a bit more now, but $12-$15k would a reasonable guesstimate.  I think it's Harbourfront Horizon.  
http://www.horizonhotels.com.hk/index_en.html

Recent Ratings
Kennichi   3-11-2012 05:25  Acceptance  +2   

Hear Ye!  The Mayor has spoken!
Petay_1283
Fucking Legend

UID 46298
Digest Posts 0
Credits 11574
Posts 3139
Karma 11375
Acceptance 3975
Reading Access 100
Registered 9-6-2010
Location Hong Kong
Status Offline
Post at 1-11-2012 16:45  Profile P.M. 
Reply #1 Kennichi's post

It all depends on how far you wanting to stay... ??

If you do not mind staying in the centre then look further out, SINO property in HK gold coast used to to do short-term serviced apartments for around 11K a month, a great area to stay with a bus direct to the island.

Also have a look at the expat websites, people always offering apartments etc for short-term there, I booked a friend in one around 2 years ago. It cost 10,000 for a month in Shatin, a little far out yes but great transport and nice apartment.

Recent Ratings

'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.'
hamburger
Carnal Conqueror

UID 32120
Digest Posts 0
Credits 275
Posts 51
Karma 271
Acceptance 88
Reading Access 30
Registered 5-10-2009
Status Offline
Post at 2-11-2012 13:13  Profile P.M. 
Hostel? Depends on how cheap you want. You can bargain for a cheap room in Chung King mansions for a month. The lobby is a bit of a grime and full of touts, so use the side entrance.

I would go for Hong Kong Hostel in causeway bay. Rooms are like Chung King, simple bed, toilet/bathroom, and small tv - good location and gets the job done, with wifi. Again, you can kind of bargain for a cheaper rate.

For something more established, try yesinnspace, they only do monthly rentals and the decor is much nicer than chung king, or hong kong hostel. Location is in Mongkok.

Another route is just to sublet a room from someone. I would go for the hostel option since it's hassle free, you get wifi and more privacy. If you want to go LKF and drink and pick up chicks or just stay in the city, I would choose Hong Kong hostel. However, being on the 2 or 3rd floor sucks balls, it gets noisy in the morning. Chung King looks rough on the outside but the rooms are perfectly clean and fine.

Heck, I use to use a whole bunch of hostels and hotels since the Victoria in wanchai can cost 700 a night. Kowloon Tong overnights range from 400-650. Chung King rooms can cost 300 on a weekday. Hong Kong hostel slightly more for a double room.

But as tip, don't advertise yourself as a local Honger. Some places don't like that because they think of triads or vagrants on the run. Well in Chung King at least.

Recent Ratings
Master Mongerer

UID 12884
Digest Posts 0
Credits 5034
Posts 4392
Karma 4928
Acceptance 2111
Reading Access 80
Registered 10-7-2008
Location Pitcairn
Status Offline
Post at 5-11-2012 15:03  Profile P.M. 
Reply #5 hamburger's post

Hostels are OK, but I wouldn't recommend Chung King ... if you stay there you're labelling yourself as a cheapskate who adopts the lowest possible standards ... which is fundamentally at odds with picking up sexy chicks ...

and I don't care how nice the place might be inside, if you can't get her past the leering guys in the lobby, you just wasted an evening's hunting.  

Hostels are fine - bin there dun that - and you can find very nice ones in a nicer building.  CWB has several, or somewhere like Jordan in Kowloon is convenient.  Target to find a place around $250-$300 per night, then negotiate down to $200 per night or so.  
Best way is to stay there a couple of nights, make friends with the proprietor, THEN announce that you plan to stay for "at least a couple of months" ... he'll give you a great deal.  Anything more than 30 room-nights will get you attention in any hotel - just make sure it's agreed that in return for the long-stay commitment they won't change the rate at peak times.  

Peak times are an issue: November is busy with trade shows, so rates tend to be highest at the time of some of the most popular trade fairs.  Again, negotiate.  

If plan to be really full-on, why not take a hotel near WanChai?

check out www.booking.com, you often get great deals, with some very real hotels for as low as $500 per night from time to time.  Just beware that if you make a booking on booking.com, you won't be able to extend at the same rate:  you have to find the same rate still being advertised on booking.com and make an additional booking online.  Bizarre as that sounds, I found it reassuring that you won't get as low rates even if you ask them with evidence of your current booking!

At around $12k/30 = $400 per night, even the cheapest serviced apartments are a similar price, and a hotel is more of a chick-magnet, with the added plus that as an obvious business-traveller you have an excuse for becoming unavailable later

zhouyun
Lustful Lord

UID 3562
Digest Posts 0
Credits 622
Posts 567
Karma 620
Acceptance 34
Reading Access 40
Registered 5-10-2007
Location Australia
Status Offline
Post at 7-11-2012 14:32  Profile P.M. 
off peak time

while we are in the subject, when is usually the low seasons for the hotels in hongkong? i would assume it would be easier to negotiate on those period with better rates, since it's a guarantee occupancy for them for a whole month or more...
Master Mongerer

UID 12884
Digest Posts 0
Credits 5034
Posts 4392
Karma 4928
Acceptance 2111
Reading Access 80
Registered 10-7-2008
Location Pitcairn
Status Offline
Post at 7-11-2012 15:14  Profile P.M. 
Reply #7 zhouyun's post

maybe someone from within the industry can give a better answer ...

... my casual observation, based on seeing some great prices this year, is that June-July seems to be low season
... with October and November being peak season

Of course, you can't negotiate a deal in June and expect them to hold the price in October ... unless you get a binding written commitment that is.  

It's also interesting the way the some of the online booking sites now do seem to be offering the best prices - that's a tipping-point that has been a long time coming -

Generally speaking in the past the online prices were not the best prices but the last two times I tried phoning around speaking the magic words I found they were unable to beat their own online deals

zhouyun
Lustful Lord

UID 3562
Digest Posts 0
Credits 622
Posts 567
Karma 620
Acceptance 34
Reading Access 40
Registered 5-10-2007
Location Australia
Status Offline
Post at 9-11-2012 15:11  Profile P.M. 
Reply #8 DArtagnan's post

would it be a peak close to or during CNY? i might be planning to go around that time...