Karma 259
Acceptance 23
Reading Access 30
Registered 13-6-2009
Status Offline
Post at 19-3-2012 07:01  Profile P.M. 
Font size: S M L
Iphone 5 or Samsung S3?

My phone is getting really slow and I really want a new one.

I dont know if I should buy one now or wait for the Iphone 5 or Samsung S3?
I have a LG right now with Android.
Anyone made the switch between android and ios?
I have a macbook since 2005 and a more than familiar with Apple.

Anyone waiting for these phones too?

Recent Ratings
kaka   29-3-2012 12:39  Acceptance  +1   by the time iphone5 comes out, u need to compare with Samsung S8. ..
devilgodspeed   20-3-2012 21:07  Karma  +1   iPhone much better as Samsung phones depreciates swiftly.
hunter (Real Slim Slapper-Status: 九叔 .)
Fucking Legend

UID 2748
Digest Posts 0
Credits 16230
Posts 12435
Karma 16060
Acceptance 3408
Reading Access 100
Registered 5-8-2007
Location Pussy Paradise, Earth
Status Offline
Post at 19-3-2012 12:21  Profile P.M. 
Reply #1 newyorkcityskap's post

Is iPhone 5 coming soon?

Retired from pussy arena….Uncle 9

SpankyP
Erotic Emperor

UID 85698
Digest Posts 0
Credits 2222
Posts 66
Karma 2218
Acceptance 85
Reading Access 60
Registered 5-3-2012
Status Offline
Post at 19-3-2012 13:04  Profile P.M. 
Personally I think Android is better overall in terms of features and such but for most people the simiplicity of the iPhone is what they want.
Weelock
Throbbing Titan

UID 69
Digest Posts 0
Credits 4376
Posts 2584
Karma 4304
Acceptance 1435
Reading Access 70
Registered 19-2-2007
Location Mars Colony, Mongo City
Status Offline
Post at 19-3-2012 15:03  Profile P.M. 
Reply #1 newyorkcityskap's post

Some comments:

I don't like Iphone 4 and 4S because the screens are too small. The Iphone 5 should have a bigger screen from rumors.  I want to use for other things beside the phone that is why a bigger screen is a must for the next version.

Skyrocket II, the battery only last about 10 hours to 2.5 days depending on usage. Unless they have a stronger battery, I would say the battery life on the Skyrocket III might be worst or the same.

Rumors has it the Skyrocket III is coming our around the summer. While the Iphone around Sept. It seems like your an Apple guy. Then I would get  the next Iphone.
WhoreMonger
Carnal Conqueror

UID 58197
Digest Posts 0
Credits 267
Posts 171
Karma 264
Acceptance 65
Reading Access 30
Registered 2-1-2011
Location HK & Macau
Status Offline
Post at 20-3-2012 03:24  Profile P.M.  QQ ICQ Status
I've used both Android and IOS.  I first got the iPhone off a friend a month after it first came out for HK$1500 because he wanted to get the 8G (was it 8G? i got the 4G one).  There wasn't Android back then and it was quite nice to use, after about a year or so I kinda got bored of it because at that time there wasn't a lot of software or tweaks you could do to it, so i wnt back to using Symbian on Nokia phones for the next 2 years.  I didn't like the look of the 3G or 3GS so i skipped those.  

After the iPhone 3Gs came out, there were Android devices available so I was thinking to myself what should I use?  I was getting tired with Symbian, its just crap and the responsiveness of the Nokia touch screen is something you should just keep quiet about...... So i went ahead and got myself an HTC Desire HD.  At that point i figured i would give Android a tryout since I've always used stuff by Google and they have served me well.

With Android there are lots of customizing you can do to the interface, the multiple homescreens are nice because you are put all sorts of funky widgets there, i liked this feature.  At that time it was still relatively new and a lot of the software was still quite buggy.  The camera on Android devices tended to be quite nice too.  I also found the "buttons" on the homescreen to get home, settings etc were quite confusing, I've used it for the better part of one year and i still press the wrong button sometimes.  The GPS was also a bitch to get a lock-on and reading online, this was something wrong with the Desire HD and there seems to be no fix for it.  I wanted to get a phone with good GPS so i could use it when i was travelling so this defeated my purposes.

My girl got a cheap iphone 4 a couple months after release through a friend, so i set it up for her, JB, etc.  Prior to this i've been using both Android and IOS for roughly a year or so, albeit at different times.  At this time i found you could get app store apps via apptrackr/hackulous so that was great.  I started to look for places where i could get apps from the marketplace so i didn't have to pay heaps of cash for GPS software, albeit my current phone needed at least 10-20 mins before i could get a lock on a satellite.  Couldn't find any.  This was my cue to get an iPhone again because i felt the iPhone 4's screen was much more responsive than the Desire HD i was using at the time and i made a point to test the GPS out and it works just fine on the iPhone.

In the end i got an iPhone 4, loaded it up with all the crap i could find.  Works fine for my purposes.  For me i liked the size and dimensions, it fits into your pockets just right.  The Desire HD had a larger screen and the width made it a little noticable especially when you sat down.

Last month I got my hands on a HTC Incredible, i found out now you can find a site and app (but i forgot the name, you can Google it) that lets you install paid apps from the marketplace, but i was told by my friend that most of the cracked apps there are loaded with viruses and spyware.  I would trust him because he is a convicted hacker (done time in the slammer) and he is now quite famous, he has been on CNN and other news publications/websites for hacking Android.  He works for Samsung, but of course they will deny it. So I would trust him on this because I've known him before he got into trouble or even learnt how to hack and he has always been straight with me.  He offered to crack any app that i needed for me so that i wouldn't have anything iffy on my phone, but i didn't need it since, the HTC Incredible was just passing through my hands at the time and i was just playing with it so see what kind of improvements have been made.

If you ask me, at the moment I would use the iPhone, as it serves my purposes, but there are pros and cons of using both types.

iPhone Pros:

1.  Lots of software you can easily get for free with a JB
2. It looks nice and fits into your pockets easily.
3. Lots of tweaks, you can make it look and feel exactly like an Android phone if you want, hell you can even install Android onto it!
4. It depreciates slowly compared to many other electronics.
5. Its generally easy to use, esp for the less tech savvy.

iPhone Cons:

1. It looks like an iPhone, there is no other look, whether you like it or not you have no choice if you want to use IOS.
2. Itunes is a piece of shit.
3. The way they "shuffle" their songs is crap.
4. You need to JB to get all the cool features.
5. Need 3rd party apps to play movies in a format other than mp4/mov.
6. No reports of cracked software having spyware or viruses does not mean it does not exist.  Albeit i read that some people have encountered this when getting stuff from the sinfuliphone repo.

Android Pros:

1. Lots of models to choose from. You can get one thats really expensive or you can have the same OS for a lot less money.
2. Its highly customizable without having to JB it.
3. You don't need iTunes
4. Plays most movie formats off the bat.
5. Memory expansion slot.

Android Cons:

1. Cracked software has is risks.
2. The interface can get confusing for the less tech savvy bunch.
3. The variety of models available make it confusing sometimes, so make sure you check all the specs and make sure you are getting one with everything you want before you take the plunge.  The Desire HD had no front facing camera, and i needed it for video calls.  When i looked at it, there was what seemed to be a front facing camera, and i thought such an expensive phone would not lack such a basic feature, well i was wrong......it was the LED or light sensor that looked like a camera.....

Its your choice to determine whats best for you.  I use an iPhone, but i'm not a fanboy.  I've used both Winbloze and OSX for extended periods and i'm never going to use OSX again.  I'm considering getting the Galaxy Tab 7.7" unless I know for sure they are going to release an 8" iPad.  I find anything larger than 8" is too big to be easily portable unless you like carry around a bag, which I don't .

Hope this helps........

Recent Ratings
obe   18-8-2012 10:21  Acceptance  +1   Thanks
seekbeaver   14-8-2012 00:34  Acceptance  +1   Excellent
Loveasia   28-3-2012 00:46  Karma  +1   Well said. I have both.
wingman77   27-3-2012 23:04  Karma  +3   Wow, thanks for taking your time to write all that.
devilgodspeed   20-3-2012 21:06  Karma  +2   Great inofs. btw, the ideal size of a tablet is 8.9".

I'm what you call the sunken titanic....I can't resurface again.....
DArtagnan (unofficial Mayor of the Forum)
Master Mongerer

UID 12884
Digest Posts 0
Credits 5034
Posts 4392
Karma 4928
Acceptance 2111
Reading Access 80
Registered 10-7-2008
Location Pitcairn
Status Offline
Post at 20-3-2012 06:39  Profile P.M. 
Reply #5 WhoreMonger's post

Good overview of the choice

Basically if you're a newb to phones, iPhone is going to be much easier for you to get familiar with.
But if you enjoy rich functionality, freedom of choice, and like to be able to change settings the way you want them not the way Apple wants you to use them, Android is now a far superior choice.  The latest offerings from Samsung are awesome.

As you can see I'm an Android fan.  

Yes I've used both, and I know iOS thoroughly as a user, but not gone as far as JB or hacking ... I take the view that if you want good functionality, rewarding the developers with a few $ makes as much sense as dropping a tip with a WG who gave good service: you get it back many times over.  As a full-price purchaser of Apps, I can honestly say that for all but a very few apps that only appear on iOS, and a few games that require the GameCentre for multi-play, the Apps that run on Android tend to be much more flexible and powerful than the Apps I can find for iOS.

Hear Ye!  The Mayor has spoken!
WhoreMonger
Carnal Conqueror

UID 58197
Digest Posts 0
Credits 267
Posts 171
Karma 264
Acceptance 65
Reading Access 30
Registered 2-1-2011
Location HK & Macau
Status Offline
Post at 20-3-2012 21:24  Profile P.M.  QQ ICQ Status
Reply #6 DArtagnan's post

Yeah if you are tech savvy you will be more happy with an Android, but you really need to be as it can get complicated quickly, especially if you want to get into modding the look and feel of it and a lot of the mods don't really mesh well together and there are potential conflicts that result in crashes if you mod heavily like i did.   Its a bit like Winbloze, if you know your way then its fine, if not, then its better to get the hand held dummy experience you get from Apple.  I would also point out that with an iPhone if you don't JB it and get the tweaks its really inferior to Android.  

Stock IOS is just plain....ummmmm Apple......i will never use OSX ever again.  I gave it a try because one of my best friends is a fanboy (albeit he denies this with ...but then don't they all?), i used it for a couple of years and basically almost all the things he told me that OSX had over Winbloze was just the opposite, i could somehow live with that but the thing that pushed me away was some kind read/write error thing that OSX had with HDs.  It killed two HDs over the course of my use, all data lost, i tried to get it recovered by paying someone, but the HD is dead, gone....zilch.  My friend is an audio engineer and he has this problem too, but when i told him it was because of OSX since i never had it with Winbloze, he'd deny it.  In his line of work, transferring massive amounts of data happens on a daily basis, i can't remember how many times he has called me about to   because something he has worked on for the past few hours was suddenly gone or some HD had suddenly been wiped out during his backups etc.  I lost like 500G worth of years of my data, photos etc, so that was the last straw for me.  

In the end your choice should be dictated by what you need and how you are going to use it.

Cheers.......

WhoreMonger
Carnal Conqueror

UID 58197
Digest Posts 0
Credits 267
Posts 171
Karma 264
Acceptance 65
Reading Access 30
Registered 2-1-2011
Location HK & Macau
Status Offline
Post at 20-3-2012 21:36  Profile P.M.  QQ ICQ Status
I disagree, 8.9" is still too big, its not really portable unless you like lugging it around and showing off to everybody what you have.  You can't put it in your pocket, you need a bag to carry it around.  I held the 7.7" Galaxy tab and it felt about the maximum in size for something to be truely portable, anything bigger would not fit anywhere on your clothing, unless you have some kinda bigass pocket specially made to hold a plank....

I think 7" is the best, its big enough to watch videos comfortably and read documents & websites, yet still remain portable.  Unfortunately the 7" Tab does not come with the Super OLED screen, which i think is important so I won't consider it yet.  The 7.7" has a Super OLED screen but the size is about the limit for it to be really portable.  8.9" is just too big for it to be truely portable.  I have a man bag, and it JUST fits into it and i don't really like carry my bag around, usually only when i travel between HK-McCow-China and then i leave it at home.

I did get an 8.9" Galaxy Tab when i signed an extension to my contract with HKBN, but I just sold it without even opening the box.  Again in the end its what you really need that matters, if you do a lot of word processing or posing then a large screen would suit you fine.  If you want something portable then I think the 8" or smaller ones would do you fine.  

QUOTE:
devilgodspeed          20-3-2012 21:06          Karma          +2          Great inofs. btw, the ideal size of a tablet is 8.9".

Master Mongerer

UID 12884
Digest Posts 0
Credits 5034
Posts 4392
Karma 4928
Acceptance 2111
Reading Access 80
Registered 10-7-2008
Location Pitcairn
Status Offline
Post at 21-3-2012 12:52  Profile P.M. 
Reply #8 WhoreMonger's post

who the **$#Q)(@  can say so precisely what is the ideal size of a tablet???  8.9"??  I mean, why not 8.95", or 9.02"??    

Me, I want a tablet that is exactly A4 size ... why not??  
Would make so much of the stuff I read on it actual size: i.e. the size it was designed to be handled, without either zooming out or scrolling around.

But for pocketability I go for Galaxy Note - it's big enough to use for browsing, but small enough to fit in one hand and carry in a regular coat or pants pocket ...

woraix
Banned

UID 86808
Digest Posts 0
Credits 592
Posts 190
Karma 591
Acceptance 24
Reading Access 0
Registered 22-3-2012
Status Offline
Post at 23-3-2012 17:23  Profile P.M. 
Mine is Samsung Galaxy S2. I found Android system is good and the phone fantastic. I'll stay with Samsung and Android for next upgrade.

Recent Ratings
devilgodspeed   30-3-2012 08:47  Acceptance  +1   Does your Galaxy S2 have a home button? i'm confused why local units being sold ...
neoi99
Carnal Conqueror

UID 48772
Digest Posts 0
Credits 380
Posts 137
Karma 376
Acceptance 87
Reading Access 30
Registered 26-7-2010
Status Offline
Post at 27-3-2012 11:11  Profile P.M. 
I using 4S and I will prefer using 5 .
Some fd working at IT sector prefer samsung and said it is better than iPhone and much much user friendly
I keep looking in future and will try to sell my 4s when 5 come out
devilgodspeed (DGS)
Fucking Legend

UID 68709
Digest Posts 0
Credits 16052
Posts 2128
Karma 16018
Acceptance 684
Reading Access 100
Registered 27-6-2011
Location manila
Status Offline
Post at 27-3-2012 20:00  Profile P.M. 
Reply #11 neoi99's post

i hope iP5 will have a larger screen and No Home Button since the Galaxy S2 is already at 4.3" and other smart phones HTC are at 4.7".
The Galaxy Note at 5.3" just too big.
SZ650
Banned

UID 69222
Digest Posts 0
Credits 76
Posts 198
Karma 74
Acceptance 44
Reading Access 0
Registered 5-7-2011
Status Offline
Post at 28-3-2012 07:12  Profile P.M. 
Depends if you like Android or iOS, customization = Android hands down. Apple restricts you too much for everything..

Granted I'm still using the iPhone 4 now lol

You have to keep in mind, Android has very little app support(although a lot better now and keeps getting better) compared to Apple's app store.
brando768
Nookie Newbie

UID 86851
Digest Posts 0
Credits 19
Posts 24
Karma 19
Acceptance 5
Reading Access 10
Registered 23-3-2012
Status Offline
Post at 28-3-2012 07:30  Profile P.M. 
I have been a frequent user for Iphone since 2007 and recently I bought Samsung galaxy tablet and android HTC phone to try them since I kept hearing about android capability.
Iphone by far is better in technology, memory and availability of the apps , even the android apps are not very well developed as much as IPhone apps .

Recent Ratings
devilgodspeed   28-3-2012 08:16  Acceptance  +1   Apple even have better firmware updates.
Master Mongerer

UID 12884
Digest Posts 0
Credits 5034
Posts 4392
Karma 4928
Acceptance 2111
Reading Access 80
Registered 10-7-2008
Location Pitcairn
Status Offline
Post at 28-3-2012 21:19  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by brando768 at 28-3-2012 07:30
even the android apps are not very well developed as much as IPhone apps ...

I beg to differ on that one

Apple certainly has a MUCH bigger library, and I admit there are two Apps on Apple that I love, which are not (yet) available on Android

BUT the Apps that are available Android and not on Apple tend to be much more functional
Many of the Apps I like which are available on both are also cheaper on Android than on Apple

Case in point: do you use Google Maps on your iPhone?  Tried it on Android?  ... OK that's an obvious example, but there are many others.  

Serious programmers are writing for Android first these days, then porting to iOS if they can be bothered with Apple's tortuous review process and restrictive conditions ...

envious
Nookie Newbie

UID 85387
Digest Posts 0
Credits 4
Posts 9
Karma 4
Acceptance 7
Reading Access 10
Registered 28-2-2012
Status Offline
Post at 3-4-2012 19:52  Profile P.M. 
Im really digging the Apple design for their phone hardware wise.The software side of things is ok but I prefer something more open and more features .Not that the iphone software is bad but its catered for the mass market and simplicity.Whereas when I use android it give me some freedom to tweak bits and pieces

Recent Ratings
devilgodspeed   3-4-2012 23:14  Acceptance  +1   Apple more conservative.
Master Mongerer

UID 12884
Digest Posts 0
Credits 5034
Posts 4392
Karma 4928
Acceptance 2111
Reading Access 80
Registered 10-7-2008
Location Pitcairn
Status Offline
Post at 5-4-2012 07:46  Profile P.M. 
Reply #16 envious's post

... and then ... when anything goes wrong ... like a dead battery, or some other fault ... you're royally screwed by their restrictive policies and inflexible rules ... what should be a simple matter of replacing a consumable component suddenly requires a massive amount of YOUR time and money ...

devilgodspeed (DGS)
Fucking Legend

UID 68709
Digest Posts 0
Credits 16052
Posts 2128
Karma 16018
Acceptance 684
Reading Access 100
Registered 27-6-2011
Location manila
Status Offline
Post at 6-4-2012 00:30  Profile P.M. 
Any updates about the prices of Bnew sealed iPhone 4s 16gb white factory unlocked in HK specially at Apple store HK?
Saw someone selling it at 21k pesos (approximately 3.8k HK$) here in the Phil online and i may buy it so i can have a better camphone.
SZ650
Banned

UID 69222
Digest Posts 0
Credits 76
Posts 198
Karma 74
Acceptance 44
Reading Access 0
Registered 5-7-2011
Status Offline
Post at 6-4-2012 11:40  Profile P.M. 
5088 HKD for a 16GB White 4S, my girlfriend wanted one, so I bought it for her 2 weeks ago, picked it up at the Apple Store @ IFC

3800 HKD would be a pretty good deal for a brand new 4S white 16GB and unlocked, IMO you should buy it, thats a pretty good deal in general
devilgodspeed (DGS)
Fucking Legend

UID 68709
Digest Posts 0
Credits 16052
Posts 2128
Karma 16018
Acceptance 684
Reading Access 100
Registered 27-6-2011
Location manila
Status Offline
Post at 6-4-2012 12:28  Profile P.M. 
Reply #19 SZ650's post

i'm getting 1 unit 4s white 16gb  w/o a doubt.
online seller clarified they are Singapore units bnew sealed and factory unlocked.
21k pesos ( 3.8k HK $) very good price for the 16gb 4s
he's also selling the 32gb 4s at 26k pesos (approximately 4.7k HK$) and 64gb 4s at 31k pesos (approximately 5.6k HK$)