Subject: No bad whores? Finally a rally I want to see!
  This thread has been closed by sexyloser at 18-5-2024 08:44. 
lister01
Kinky King

UID 26517
Digest Posts 0
Credits 1674
Posts 754
Karma 1656
Acceptance 359
Reading Access 50
Registered 19-6-2009
Location Melbourne, OZ
Status Offline
Post at 6-6-2010 09:49  Profile P.M. 
Font size: S M L
No bad whores? Finally a rally I want to see!

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/mp/ ... whores-sex-workers/

Sex workers have rallied in Sydney to demand an end to "whore-phobic" attitudes and greater protection under anti-discrimination laws.

Chanting "sex worker rights are human rights" and "no bad whores, just bad laws", dozens of protesters marched from the Opera House on Saturday in a bid to have their rights recognised.

Many carried red umbrellas, a symbol of the global movement, while others made statements with T-shirts reading "whore power" and "sluts unite".

"We are human beings, we are people, we do a job and we are continually vilified for that job," sex worker Julie Bates said, noting that little had changed in the way of community attitudes during her 30-year career.

"So whilst we remained silenced ... today is a chance for us to speak to the community, so we have a voice.

"What we want society to see is that sex work is real damn hard work, and ... we provide a service like any other industry."

Organised by the Scarlet Alliance, a peak body representing the nation's estimated 20,000 sex workers, the event was one of several staged in capital cities across the country on Saturday to commemorate International Whores Day.

The alliance is using the occasion to lobby state governments for amendments to existing legislation that covers the industry.

The campaign focuses on NSW, which has the highest concentration of sex workers - about 8,000 - yet has inferior anti-discrimination laws compared with other parts of the nation.

In the ACT, Queensland and Tasmania, legislation protects against discrimination based on legal sexual activity or occupation, essentially giving mistreated sex workers an avenue for recourse.

The most common instances of discrimination reported to the alliance occur during applications for rental properties, bank loans and credit cards.

Sex workers are also forced to pay up to five times more than other advertisers in newspapers, and encounter problems when dealing with police and the judicial system, the alliance said.

It was often seen when women lost custody cases because of negative stereotypes associated with their jobs.

Alliance president Elena Jeffreys said part of the problem stemmed from deep-rooted attitudes within government and mainstream institutions.

"They think that sex workers are not part of the community," she told AAP.

"We are absolutely sick of whore-phobic attitudes.

"Sex work is legalised, decriminalised, brothels are run in a professional and transparent manner, and sex workers are huge contributors to society, yet we face this discrimination every single day.

"It's absolutely untenable and we demand that it be changed."

The funniest thing is that the stuffy politicians are probably their best customers!
geoduck
Godfather of Hole

UID 41248
Digest Posts 0
Credits 7512
Posts 3232
Karma 7419
Acceptance 1854
Reading Access 90
Registered 12-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 6-6-2010 09:53  Profile P.M. 
Reply #1 lister01's post

In Australia, being a WG in a brothel is a legal profession and you can protest against anything. Can you imagine all these walkup girls in HK protesting the same way on Nathan Road in HK?
lister01
Kinky King

UID 26517
Digest Posts 0
Credits 1674
Posts 754
Karma 1656
Acceptance 359
Reading Access 50
Registered 19-6-2009
Location Melbourne, OZ
Status Offline
Post at 6-6-2010 10:00  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by geoduck at 6-6-2010 09:53
Can you imagine all these walkup girls in HK protesting the same way on Nathan Road in HK?

Man, great idea. I would travel all the way to HK just for that event!

Now, back to imagining it...
amphibean
Lustful Lord

UID 9984
Digest Posts 0
Credits 803
Posts 314
Karma 798
Acceptance 101
Reading Access 40
Registered 31-3-2008
Status Offline
Post at 6-6-2010 11:08  Profile P.M. 
Pretty sure the whole issue of religion is what causes a lot of the phobia, with how it's a sin and all.
lister01
Kinky King

UID 26517
Digest Posts 0
Credits 1674
Posts 754
Karma 1656
Acceptance 359
Reading Access 50
Registered 19-6-2009
Location Melbourne, OZ
Status Offline
Post at 6-6-2010 12:01  Profile P.M. 
Argh.. religion

QUOTE:
Originally posted by amphibean at 6-6-2010 11:08
Pretty sure the whole issue of religion is what causes a lot of the phobia, with how it's a sin and all.

Yeah, but the rest of society has moved on... I don't think many Aussies are too worried about sin anymore and it certainly seems like the younger generation is hell bent on shagging and drinking themselves to death (Hell, do I sound like an old fart or what? ). Point is, the overbearing religious doctrine that used to dominate society is a thing of the past.

You're probably right though - people want to believe that they live good, sin-free lives and while most cannot actually do that, it is easy for them to look down on prostitution.
Froddo
Erotic Emperor

UID 12094
Digest Posts 0
Credits 2444
Posts 2199
Karma 2439
Acceptance 97
Reading Access 60
Registered 6-6-2008
Location OZ
Status Offline
Post at 6-6-2010 13:26  Profile P.M. 
Reply #1 lister01's post

I feel empathy for them but general cultural attitudes are very difficult to change.

and, compared to Asia the Aussie WGs are "bad whores" .... i.e. bad service.
chhsasa
Kinky King

UID 43867
Digest Posts 0
Credits 1161
Posts 430
Karma 1154
Acceptance 135
Reading Access 50
Registered 27-4-2010
Status Offline
Post at 6-6-2010 14:17  Profile P.M. 
Reply #6 Froddo's post

speaking of which, have any aussie WGs ever come over to HK?
Froddo
Erotic Emperor

UID 12094
Digest Posts 0
Credits 2444
Posts 2199
Karma 2439
Acceptance 97
Reading Access 60
Registered 6-6-2008
Location OZ
Status Offline
Post at 6-6-2010 21:05  Profile P.M. 
Reply #7 chhsasa's post

I have no idea,  maybe on holiday and they are short of cash???

WGs in OZ make good money, and in general think they would do better at home.

However, I could envisage some would be quite exotic to high rollers in Asia and earn quite a premium. I know this can happen with Japan tours.