Acceptance 21
Reading Access 20
Registered 28-3-2012
Status Offline
Post at 10-4-2012 07:00  Profile P.M. 
Font size: S M L

QUOTE:
Originally posted by berndt at 27-1-2012 23:21
Hey fellas, my boss gave me a watch as a CNY present.
According to him its a prestigious label on par with omega and audemar piguet watches.
The brand is Philip Stein. I've  have never heard of this  ...

Hi,

As a 4th generation watchmaker and a collector I am sorry to tell you that "hilip Stein" is not as prestigious as "Omega" and no way near "Audemars Piguet". The "Frequency Technology" that they use is I think nothing but a scam (like the colorful rubber bands that everyone was wearing on their wrist just a year ago).

The "accuracy of timekeeping" is never a deciding factor on watches prestige. Automatic watches are as precise as the amount of care you give them. Quartz movements are always precise but not considered prestigious.

To give a informative list I can divide watches into some groups for you.

- Vacheron Constantin, Patek Philippe, Hublot, Audemars Piguet, Franck Muller, IWC, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Breguet   ..... then comes
- Omega, Zenith, Panerai, Tag Heuer, Breitling etc.
- Cartier and Rolex are a different group as they have fans of their own but collectors dont like these brands much. In terms of durability Rolex is the best though. You may wear it everyday and leave it to your grandson when the time comes.

I myself switch between my Zenith,Tag and Panerai, and occasionally wear my Parmigiani.

OMG this is my first post

Recent Ratings
DArtagnan   26-4-2012 23:05  Karma  +3   Welcome! A considered response!
chelu   12-4-2012 10:29  Karma  +1   And a good one!

United We Stand, Divided We Fall.
bootleg141
Nookie Newbie

UID 87212
Digest Posts 0
Credits 16
Posts 20
Karma 16
Acceptance -1
Reading Access 10
Registered 29-3-2012
Status Offline
Post at 11-4-2012 23:13  Profile P.M. 
your boss lie to you... Philip Stein are worth 300-3500.00 ( per online data base).

they are not on par or near anything to omega and audemar piguet watches.

Omega are worth 800-6000 around.

audemar piguet watches "AP" are from $8500 - $1,097,200.00

as to all chinaman only know ROLEX and all they care for is rollies... they are not worth it's price tag.

if you want a nice time piece go for HUBOLT, IWC, PANERAI. you want something no body has or know.
why you may ask?? so they won't robb you for starters, plus only people that knows and love watches will know what you have on.

just my 0.02
markreyes
Kinky King

UID 5437
Digest Posts 0
Credits 1301
Posts 805
Karma 1288
Acceptance 265
Reading Access 50
Registered 2-12-2007
Status Offline
Post at 12-4-2012 05:22  Profile P.M. 
Reply #21 lipton34's post

As a "4th generation watchmaker and collector" you have horrible taste if you subdivide watches into those two categories.

But I guess, bad taste is not a crime.

Recent Ratings
lipton34   13-4-2012 04:08  Acceptance  +1   Comment below bro ;)
lipton34
Musky Member

UID 87141
Digest Posts 0
Credits 131
Posts 12
Karma 130
Acceptance 21
Reading Access 20
Registered 28-3-2012
Status Offline
Post at 13-4-2012 04:07  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by markreyes at 12-4-2012 05:22
As a "4th generation watchmaker and collector" you have horrible taste if you subdivide watches into those two categories.

But I guess, bad taste is not a crime.

Hi bro,

I didnt divide them with my taste... I just divided them upper par and lower par in terms of collectible value (not mine but watch enthusiasts all over the world). I know I have left a lot of watches out, only wrote the most popular ones. And I dont own any watches from the upper group I have mentioned. Though I would love to have a Breguet one day ;)

Taste is very relative especially regarding watches. As far as taste goes I wouldnt be caught dead wearing a Franck Muller and I am a digger for  Parmigiani Fleurer's style.

I buy used watches, repair them and sell again (mostly Omega and Zenith). It is a hobby of mine and I know a lot about watches since it is both my hobby and my job. Anyone has any questions or need tips just P.M. me and I will help as best I can.

Regards

United We Stand, Divided We Fall.
markreyes
Kinky King

UID 5437
Digest Posts 0
Credits 1301
Posts 805
Karma 1288
Acceptance 265
Reading Access 50
Registered 2-12-2007
Status Offline
Post at 13-4-2012 05:50  Profile P.M. 
Reply #24 lipton34's post

I don't really want to get into a drawn out argument.

But i don't know anybody who would categorize the watches the way you have above.

Vacheron with Patek with IWC???

Omega with Panerai and then TAG?

You are seriously out of price, quality, and collector ranges here.  You might want to rethink your claim.
Musky Member

UID 26758
Digest Posts 0
Credits 191
Posts 113
Karma 190
Acceptance 18
Reading Access 20
Registered 24-6-2009
Status Offline
Post at 19-4-2012 19:06  Profile P.M. 
Just looking at the number of newly opened or inclusion of Rolex in HK now, a butt load of jewelery stores like Chow Tai Fook in the NTs, the brand is I'd synonymous with status/wealth among Chinese culture. Least its a common symbol for it. The vast majority of buyers in Edinburgh's Princess street store (cant remember the name) are Chinese, well mainly HKers.

Walking past the jewelery stores in Yuen Long and Sha Tin's mega mall I wasn't given much notice (then again I was dressed a bit like bum...douché angst hipster style by my friends) the moment I lift up my sleeves, revealing my Datejust they brought me tea, shoo'ed away another customer for a seat lol.

As for overall quality the Rolex is best, Lipton34 is right, they can take a beating and still be given to your grandson. Im only in my mid 20s my Submariner when I turned 16, has taken an inordinate amount of thrashing, bangs and general scraps but still works like a treat. Although I have sent it away a the one time for general service not to be repaired, cant stress that enough.
comicguy
Lustful Lord

UID 26643
Digest Posts 0
Credits 558
Posts 356
Karma 554
Acceptance 80
Reading Access 40
Registered 21-6-2009
Status Offline
Post at 25-4-2012 08:41  Profile P.M. 
waste of money

The time on my plastic casio is the same than on my friend's rolex. These watch brands cater to ego. Business-wise too, the make ofyr watch doesn't matter. My clients are only interested in what i have to sell and for how much..not the make of my watch or the weight of my balls.

Yr boss probably gave u the watch as an incentive to you can drive yrself (in the hope of getting more gifts) and in the process make moremoney for him.
adrenal
Throbbing Titan

UID 62146
Digest Posts 0
Credits 4068
Posts 605
Karma 4034
Acceptance 685
Reading Access 70
Registered 13-3-2011
Status Offline
Post at 26-4-2012 00:14  Profile P.M. 
Reply #27 comicguy's post

What about a car?  Functionally it gets you from A to B.  
So anything more than a base car model is also a waste of money? or cater to ego?

or

What about noodles?  Paying for hand cut noodles is also a waste or money? or cater to ego?

or do people have different value propositions?