Karma 2893
Acceptance 1832
Reading Access 60
Registered 2-12-2008
Status Offline
Post at 9-4-2010 19:26  Profile P.M. 
Font size: S M L
Reply #20 kaka's post

haha...you are surprisingly quite correct about the tiny guys liking to pick fights with bigger guys.  Damn so many napoleons here in Asia!

I told my SO that it can be dangerous to be a big guy in the clubs here in HK / China as I seem to attract the attentions of many short triad (or dodgy) guys who want to prove to their fellow bros and heads that they can take on a big guy.    Well at least the situations forced me to sharpen my spidey senses and diplomacy skills.  
doghead (dog)
Erotic Emperor

UID 16705
Digest Posts 0
Credits 2985
Posts 2230
Karma 2893
Acceptance 1832
Reading Access 60
Registered 2-12-2008
Status Offline
Post at 9-4-2010 19:49  Profile P.M. 
Reply #19 kenli's post

Your points are great.  But I do find the conclusion of your story to be sad and tragic.  To have 3 guys on their knees and begging for forgiveness is so unfortunate for you, not funny at all.

First, you may never get to go back to that night club again or that area as those guys may be holding a grudge against you.  Second, I hate getting favors (even if I didnt ask for it) from connected ppl as they will come to collect in the future.

I am quite friendly to everyone in the bars and clubs I go to.  Some ppl I suspect to be connected (either very rich, politically connected, or are triad) and occasionally those ppl will invite me to have a drink with them on their table.  I always try to decline, but if they insist, I will take that drink.  Then go to the bar and order them a drink on my tab as I don't want to beholden to those who are connected.  Keeping my freedom is important to me.

Once I was drinking on at a bar in Zhuhai with a buddy.  Some big shot starts a conversation with us just because we were not locals.  He gave us drinks.  Immediately we ordered a 1/2 dozen shooters.  1 shooter each to my bud and me, that big shot and his gf, the remaining two to the bartenders serving the bar.   The big shot was impressed that we bought him drinks without thought as well as the bartenders as it seems no one buys them drinks.  Like I pointed out above, we did this as we don't like to beholden to big shots in China as power in China is more important than what is legal.
kenli
Lustful Lord

UID 24890
Digest Posts 0
Credits 554
Posts 381
Karma 550
Acceptance 82
Reading Access 40
Registered 13-5-2009
Status Offline
Post at 10-4-2010 00:17  Profile P.M. 
Reply #22 doghead's post

The conclusion of the story was not sad nor tragic in my opinion.  I never started it and like I said I'm not a fighter and will try to use diplomacy hence me apologizing for something I didn't do.  These guys needed to be taught a lesson not to be so stupid for their own failures.  I do find it funny how some people act so tough when they have the advantage and grovel when they realize they they picked on the wrong guy.

I have been back to the club many times and actually bumped into them a few times and they were actually cool about what had happened and we even bought each others drinks and chit chatted about the singers in the club, I'm always friendly and easy to talk to.

The favor from the connected guy was not asked for like I said I didn't want to tell them who the guys were but they made me and if i didn't tell they would've just asked the manager.  I do sit with this guy on occasion to BS but he knows I would never get involved in his affairs and if asked upon I would always decline graciously but if he was to insist I would definitely find an excuse to leave.
bonkers89
Lustful Lord

UID 25160
Digest Posts 0
Credits 829
Posts 703
Karma 819
Acceptance 192
Reading Access 40
Registered 19-5-2009
Status Offline
Post at 10-4-2010 00:47  Profile P.M. 
Reply #23 kenli's post

wow, cool stories. I never been really truly clubbing in HK, just hung out at lan kwai fong for drinks a few times.
But I hear the party scene can get pretty wild.
Got to try it with you guys some day!
Gambit00
Lustful Lord

UID 31926
Digest Posts 0
Credits 517
Posts 233
Karma 511
Acceptance 127
Reading Access 40
Registered 1-10-2009
Status Offline
Post at 10-4-2010 02:14  Profile P.M. 
Actually, you'd be suprised what buying a drink for the bartenders can do for you, here in North America I'd always start out the night with a drink to the bartender, since he/she is much more familiar with the place, they will tip you on certain aspects as well as things they notice about the patrons that come every week, best way to scout those that are single.

If your the networking type, they can also connect you to the Manager, a couple drinks later and next time your there, no line no cover.

As for the face stuff, that's retarded, the chick gets picked up because she just ain't that into you, but good to know, at least I'm sorta aware of the situation there now since unlike some people, I'm not "connected" there at all, just out to have a good time yo!
kenli
Lustful Lord

UID 24890
Digest Posts 0
Credits 554
Posts 381
Karma 550
Acceptance 82
Reading Access 40
Registered 13-5-2009
Status Offline
Post at 10-4-2010 08:24  Profile P.M. 
Reply #25 Gambit00's post

Precisely my point in your last sentence I too am out to have a good time and I don't get jealous when getting turn down by girls it's just not worth it, there's too many girls around I maybe alittle envious but that's as far as it goes.

The other point is just don't get too cocky as you don't know who you're dealing with better to smile and walk away.

And you're dead on about getting to know the managers they will pay dividends by 10 folds, that's how I get to know the singers and if they are available or not he usually introduces me to them and lets the girls know I'm not triad and is a good educated guy.
doghead (dog)
Erotic Emperor

UID 16705
Digest Posts 0
Credits 2985
Posts 2230
Karma 2893
Acceptance 1832
Reading Access 60
Registered 2-12-2008
Status Offline
Post at 10-4-2010 14:04  Profile P.M. 
Reply #23 kenli's post

Actually you remind me of one of my old friends.  

A long time ago I ran into some buddies in a club.  All of sudden one of the buddies pushed me to the side.  I was like what gives? until I saw what came next.  4 of the buddies went to pounce on a guy who must have pissed them off before.  The 5th buddy just stood by the side and watched the other 4.  I asked him why he wasn't involved too.  He told me, "I am lover, not a fighter"., just like you wrote above.  

Those 4 guys just had too much testosterone flowing through their blood when they were young and always easily got offended.  One day one of them told me he was connected and it all made some sense.  I guess being connected can have its downsides like he cannot back down in a fight and be diplomatic about it as someone may be watching and report back to his family.  Keeping face can be so troublesome.

I guess that guy told me a bit about his background because he figured out that I won't pass judgment on him because of his family, plus he knows I am not in the same profession.
doghead (dog)
Erotic Emperor

UID 16705
Digest Posts 0
Credits 2985
Posts 2230
Karma 2893
Acceptance 1832
Reading Access 60
Registered 2-12-2008
Status Offline
Post at 10-4-2010 14:35  Profile P.M. 
Reply #25 Gambit00's post

There is a different way to building up a relationship with the bartenders and managers here in HK and China.  It is called tipping.  

See, you are in N. America.  I know in the USA one usually tips usd1.00 per drink.  Because the tips collected are substantial in the bar, the hourly wages of the staff are lower.  I know in the USA, there are two set minimum wages.  One is the general one and the 2nd one which is a few dollars lower is for those who work in catering, ie bars, restaurants, clubs, etc.  So tips are expected at all times.  When you buy the bartenders a drink, you are also paying for an extra drink and giving the person more tips too.  

In HK, all staff, including bartenders, get a salary.  There is no minimum wage in HK.  There is a 10% service charge added to bill in all bars, but that 10% service charge doesn't really go to common kitty for the bar staff.  That 10% is really for management.  Most ppl think that 10% service charge goes to the staff, therefore they do not tip.  Tipping is not part of the eating and drinking culture here in HK.  

My friends and I will tip at around 10-20% of the total bill (inclusive of that 10% service charge) and introduce ourselves to the bartenders.  Over time, all the managers and door bouncers will get to know us because they share in the total tips too.  I know 10-20% doesn't sound like alot to you, but here in HK I have seen many professionals (lawyers, bankers, accountants, etc) leave hardly a tip, just token coins.  So we stand out, and receive all the benefits, ie free drinks, no cover and no waiting at the door, bringing in guests, entry into private events, etc.  

In China, hardly anyone tips or even buy drinks for the staff.  The customer relationship to server is quite bad there as I have often seen customers yelling at the servers for minor mistakes.  Servers are treated like servants there.  A little respect for them goes a long way there.  

If you come to Asia for a visit, follow the advice given in this thread and you will do fine and have a great time.
F3chn3r
Nookie Newbie

UID 43516
Digest Posts 0
Credits 4
Posts 4
Karma 4
Acceptance 0
Reading Access 10
Registered 21-4-2010
Location HK
Status Offline
Post at 19-5-2010 01:24  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
I have passed out on the streets of HK and woke up with my stuff still on me, imagine that happening in NYC!

Happened to me a couple of times

QUOTE:
I saw 2 guys and 1 girl beat the crap out of a drunk guy while he was on his knees apologizing for something right outside the bar.  Not sure what happened all he kept on saying was sorry and was getting kicked or hit.

If it was a white guy then it was probably one of my friends.... he woke up in the hospital by the way.

So guys, keep cool and dont pick up others girlfriends, otherwise you get a free transport to a nice hospital  bed with hot nurses
joblow
Carnal Conqueror

UID 6567
Digest Posts 0
Credits 265
Posts 248
Karma 265
Acceptance 5
Reading Access 30
Registered 1-1-2008
Status Offline
Post at 19-5-2010 16:45  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by Gambit00 at 6-4-2010 13:49
In New York I'm pretty much walking to the streets after dawn alone, Brooks and Bronx and it seems fine.

But what about Harlem ;)

I was there not too long ago...pretty f'ing shady there when the sun goes down.

-j