Karma 3157
Acceptance 2501
Reading Access 70
Registered 10-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 26-10-2012 13:40  Profile P.M. 
Font size: S M L
Ipad mini review

I had decided that I wouldn't be getting one of these, but after reading this review I'm having second thoughts.

Hands on with the iPad mini
October 25, 2012
Review

•        Has Apple's Android killer missed the mark?
        •        iPad mini makes it harder for Microsoft
        •        Apple better under Cook than Jobs

Apple's iPad mini will bring a lot more excitement and a little more confusion to the holiday shopping season.

It only takes a few minutes playing with the iPad mini — which starts at $369 — to realise the scaled-down tablet computer will be a sure-fire hit with longtime Apple disciples and potential converts who've been looking for a more affordable entry into the mobile computing market.

The iPad mini is perfectly sized to be stuffed in Christmas stockings. It's 7.87 inches tall and 5.3 inches wide, compared with the full-size iPad, which is 9.5 inches by 7.31 inches. Recipients who will discover the pleasure and convenience of being able to take pictures, surf the web, watch video, read books and listen to music on an exquisitely designed device that's pancake thin.

As enticing as that all sounds, the iPad mini also causes a dilemma, albeit a pleasant one.

The new option will make it even more difficult for holiday shoppers to figure out which mobile device to buy for their loved ones — or for themselves.
I felt the pangs of indecision within a few minutes of picking up the iPad mini for the first time.

As the company usually does at its product unveilings, Apple only provided reporters with limited, strictly supervised access to the iPad mini. That meant I could only experiment with it for about 15 minutes, but as an experienced user of the iPad 2, I could quickly see that the smaller tablet does just about everything its bigger brethren does.

Even though the mini's 7.9-inch screen (measured on the diagonal) is 1.8 inches smaller than the standard iPad, the movie The Avengers looked lush, even in a side-by-side comparison with the larger tablet. When I pulled up the latest issue of The New Yorker, I didn't have to strain to see the text or pictures on the smaller screen. A quick check of other websites verified that the mini's screen isn't so tiny that it's going to cause a lot of squinting. After I took a very crisp picture of another reporter testing out a mini, I decided to email it to her to test how easy it was to use the keyboard on the smaller screen. No problem there. Best of all, the iPad mini can be held in one hand and is about half the weight of the larger iPad.

The mini worked so much like my standard iPad that it immediately caused me to have second thoughts about a decision I thought I had already made. I like my iPad 2 a lot, but it's just too big to carry with me wherever I am. But there have been times I really wished I had it with me, like when I spot something that would make a great picture or when I've needed to check something on the web. For various reasons, I didn't want a smartphone that would require a data plan, so I had my mind set on buying the latest iPod Touch, which has an iPhone-size screen and superb camera.

Now, the iPad mini has me vacillating. Apple isn't making it easier with its pricing strategy. The latest iPod Touch with 32 gigabytes sells for $329. An iPad mini with 16 gigabytes of storage sells for $369. I'm tempted.

Like others who will no doubt be weighing the same decision, I'll have to make up my mind. Do I want something that can fit in a pants pocket like the Touch? For starters, it comes in more colors than the black-or-white mini and offers more storage capacity for a cheaper price.

Or do I want to pay a little more for another tablet computer that can slip into a coat pocket and offer a richer experience with a screen nearly two times larger than the new Touch?

The iPad mini is so mighty that I can't believe the iPad 2 will be on the market too much longer. As of November 2, Apple will sell two versions of the larger iPad: The iPad 2 starting at $429 and the new fourth-generation iPad, introduced this week, starting at $539. The iPad 2's price now looks too expensive, given that the iPad mini can do just about everything it does on a slightly smaller screen. The iPad 2 still may hold some appeal for people who want a larger tablet, but I can't see too many consumers buying the iPad 2 now that the mini is available.

Consumers who aren't set on buying one of Apple's devices will have even more choices to make. The iPad mini is clearly aimed at siphoning sales away from the Nexus 7 tablet that Google began selling four months ago and the longer-established Kindle Fire from Amazon.com. Figuring out which one is best-suited for you (or that special someone on your shopping list) will likely come down to weighing price against performance.

Amazon sells a Kindle Fire HD with 16 gigabytes of storage and a 7-inch screen for $US199 and a similarly sized Nexus 7 goes for $A249. That means an iPad mini will cost $120 to $170 more, a price that Apple believes is justified because it boasts more features, such as front- and rear-facing cameras. The mini's reliance on aluminum instead of plastic for its exterior also makes it look more stylish and more enjoyable to hold.

If the speculation on technology blogs pans out, Google might make things even more interesting — and dizzying for holiday shoppers — by introducing a cheaper version of the Nexus 7 in the coming weeks.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-li ... 20121025-286po.html

Attachment: Your usergroup does not have permission to access attachments
newyorkcityskap
Carnal Conqueror

UID 26225
Digest Posts 0
Credits 260
Posts 273
Karma 259
Acceptance 23
Reading Access 30
Registered 13-6-2009
Status Offline
Post at 2-11-2012 02:58  Profile P.M. 
I am in the same situation but I think it will be a regular Ipad instead. The mini is just too pricy.
atomic3d
Throbbing Titan

UID 41127
Digest Posts 0
Credits 3282
Posts 2642
Karma 3157
Acceptance 2501
Reading Access 70
Registered 10-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 2-11-2012 08:49  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by newyorkcityskap at 2-11-2012 02:58
I am in the same situation but I think it will be a regular Ipad instead. The mini is just too pricy.

That would seem to be the consensus of opinion.

Keep in mind that they have gone with the more expensive and durable glass/aluminium frame.

I think I'll wait for the next upgrade hopefully it will have a better screen, won't mind paying extra then.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-li ... 20121101-28l73.html
devilgodspeed (DGS)
Fucking Legend

UID 68709
Digest Posts 0
Credits 16052
Posts 2128
Karma 16018
Acceptance 684
Reading Access 100
Registered 27-6-2011
Location manila
Status Offline
Post at 2-11-2012 22:19  Profile P.M. 
iPad mini with retina display could have been ideal but we have to wait for it next year so in the mean time, i think the iPad 2 is more practical in terms of price.
rockypop
Lustful Lord

UID 11671
Digest Posts 0
Credits 595
Posts 709
Karma 594
Acceptance 25
Reading Access 40
Registered 25-5-2008
Status Offline
Post at 4-11-2012 11:24  Profile P.M. 
for the 7" screens, I opted for the blackberry playbook at firesale prices for more than half the cost of what the ipad mini's are selling for. Plus you can get 64 GB as well at the discounted price.
AsnDragon
Throbbing Titan

UID 87156
Digest Posts 0
Credits 4857
Posts 1178
Karma 4831
Acceptance 516
Reading Access 70
Registered 28-3-2012
Status Offline
Post at 8-11-2012 17:55  Profile P.M. 
Reply #3 atomic3d's post

I played with the ipad mini today! it does not have retina display, but it's hardly noticeable for what you are using it for. Unless you are into HD videos and high def photo editing, you can't tell the difference. photos are almost as sharp and reading a book and newspaper articles is fine.

Only get the white ipad mini as the black color paint on the black ipadmini scartches off when you plug in your charger after a few usage.

but ipad mini will be a big seller! all sold out! again....
atomic3d
Throbbing Titan

UID 41127
Digest Posts 0
Credits 3282
Posts 2642
Karma 3157
Acceptance 2501
Reading Access 70
Registered 10-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 8-11-2012 22:03  Profile P.M. 
If your thinking of purchasing the current model you might want to hold off. There is already a report that an ipad mini with retina display will be release in the new year.

http://mashable.com/follow/topics/ipad-mini-2/
pooner
Erotic Emperor

UID 14677
Digest Posts 0
Credits 2043
Posts 247
Karma 2031
Acceptance 240
Reading Access 60
Registered 25-9-2008
Status Offline
Post at 11-11-2012 08:19  Profile P.M. 
Already got myself one, its awesome. My ipad 3 now feels ancient, heavy and oversized, kind of like holding one of the original iPods that came out haha.
tonkachi
Lustful Lord

UID 3263
Digest Posts 0
Credits 841
Posts 565
Karma 820
Acceptance 410
Reading Access 40
Registered 18-9-2007
Status Offline
Post at 11-11-2012 12:34  Profile P.M. 
I got one a few days ago...i'm not impressed with it.  I like my ipad 3 better, the picture quality on things is cleaner on the ipad vs the mini.
looking4cfc
Carnal Conqueror

UID 66886
Digest Posts 0
Credits 319
Posts 150
Karma 315
Acceptance 86
Reading Access 30
Registered 31-5-2011
Location Poonani pedestal
Status Offline
Post at 17-11-2012 14:34  Profile P.M. 
probably going to be some on the market real soon.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_ ... bs-stolen-from-jfk/
DaBestHK
Godfather of Hole

UID 38266
Digest Posts 0
Credits 9074
Posts 6140
Karma 8967
Acceptance 2136
Reading Access 90
Registered 19-1-2010
Status Offline
Post at 18-11-2012 08:08  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by tonkachi at 11-11-2012 12:34
I got one a few days ago...i'm not impressed with it.  I like my ipad 3 better, the picture quality on things is cleaner on the ipad vs the mini.

the iPad mini has always been about portability, and not about specs. if you're used to the Apple environment, nothing beats it if you want something to bring around.

if you take a lot of short trips, it is perfect to just slip in your carry on luggage

it is also perfect to bring along to keep the kids occupied. you cannot see the difference if you have 1 ipad, but if you have 3 kids, and you need to bring along 3 iPads, then the ipad mini will save you a lot of weight