Subject: China's housing boom spells trouble for boyfriends
  This thread has been closed by sexyloser at 18-5-2024 08:46. 
atomic3d
Throbbing Titan

UID 41127
Digest Posts 0
Credits 3282
Posts 2642
Karma 3157
Acceptance 2501
Reading Access 70
Registered 10-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 25-6-2010 08:13  Profile P.M. 
Font size: S M L
China's housing boom spells trouble for boyfriends

Many women won't marry a man who doesn't own a home. This recent shift, along with soaring real estate prices, has created a woefully frustrated class of bachelors.
Reporting from Beijing — Mike Zhang considered himself serious boyfriend material. He knew what to order at an Italian restaurant. He could mix a tasty margarita. And he always volunteered to carry his girlfriend's handbag.

Then came the deal breaker. Zhang, a 28-year-old language tutor and interpreter, couldn't afford an apartment in the capital's scorching property market.

Rather than waste any more time, his girlfriend of more than two years dumped him.

Zhang's misfortune is not uncommon. China's housing boom has created a woefully frustrated class of bachelors.

Home prices in major cities including Beijing and Shanghai have easily doubled over the last year as families and investors rush to grab a piece of the Chinese dream. A typical 1,000-square-foot, two-bedroom, one-bath apartment in the capital now costs about $274,000. That's 22 times the average annual income of a Beijing resident.

Unlike in the United States, where home buying traditionally takes place after marriage, owning a place in China has recently become a prerequisite for tying the knot. Experts said securing an apartment in this market signals that a man is successful, family-oriented and able to weather challenging financial circumstances. Put succinctly, homeownership has become the ultimate symbol of virility in today's China.

"A man is not a man if he doesn't own a house," said Chen Xiaomin, director of the Women's Studies Center at the Shanghai University of Political Science and Law. "Marriage is becoming more and more materialistic. This is a huge change in Chinese society. No matter how confident a woman is, she will lose face if her boyfriend or husband doesn't have a house."

Dating websites are now awash with women stipulating that hopefuls must come with a residence (and often a set of wheels) in tow.

"I'm 25 years old, looking for a boyfriend.... I want you to have an apartment and a car.... The apartment has to be built after 2000 and the car has to be better than a minivan," read one post on the popular Chinese Web portal Baidu.

Material matters weren't quite so important when previous generations courted. Most Chinese were poor. Property was controlled by the state and homes were doled out through an individual's work unit. When China was more agrarian, marriages were usually arranged, and it was customary for a bride's family to provide a dowry — be it money, bedding or even a sewing machine.

But economic reform and mass urbanization in the last 30 years have upended these norms. In 1998, the central government launched one of the largest transfers of wealth in human history by allowing Chinese to buy their homes from the state, often with subsidies. The privatization of property spurred the creation of a commercialized housing industry with developers and investors.

Young Chinese are coming of age at a time of exploding wealth and rising expectations for material success. In a survey last year on Sohu.com, a popular Web portal similar to Yahoo, 73% of respondents said homeownership was a necessity for marriage. An almost equal percentage said they had difficulty buying an apartment.

"Not everyone has rich parents who can help you buy an apartment," said Chen Kechun, a 25-year-old Beijing native whose relationship disintegrated after his six-month search for an affordable home proved fruitless. "I learned that if a girl decides to marry you, you better have a strong financial foundation."

Growing male frustrations have given rise to a new female archetype: the bai jin nu, or gold-digger.

On the wildly popular TV reality program "Don't Bother Me Unless You're Serious," one woman tried to size up a suitor by asking matter-of-factly, "Do you have money?"

The man cut to the chase: "I have three flats in Shanghai."

The hard-boiled bachelorette, Ma Nuo, has gone on to become one of China's most recognizable bai jin nu. Marry for love? Fat chance, said the material girl: "I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on the back of my boyfriend's bicycle."

Ma's mercenary take on matrimony may be extreme; still, single women in China are driven by intense societal pressure to find a mate who can deliver the digs.

Though more women are becoming career oriented, China remains stubbornly traditional. Males are expected to be breadwinners while females rear a family's only child.

"My parents think it's important.... They would rather I marry someone who owns his own property," said Wei Na, 28, an advertising saleswoman in Beijing. "It just makes you feel more safe if a man has his own place. I think most women feel the same way."

Fang Jing is trying to hold on to his relationship. The 29-year-old has been trying to persuade his girlfriend to share in the $250,000 cost of a Shanghai apartment so that they can wed next year.

"She didn't agree immediately. She's still hoping I can take care of it myself," Fang said. "But we have to face reality. In Shanghai it's difficult for one person to afford an apartment. When we face something as important as this, men and women have to be equal."

Fang will need about $75,000 to afford the 30% down payment on the home the couple want. That's a lofty goal, considering that the computer technician is between jobs and has no savings. He's counting on both sets of parents to chip in.

Wang Haijun, a real estate agent on Beijing's east side, said he can always tell when a desperate bachelor walks into his office.

"They're always the least rational buyers," Wang said. "They don't care how little money they have. They just want an apartment as soon as possible. They take on a mortgage with the longest terms and highest interest rates. But they have no choice. They have to get married. I feel sorry for them."

Zhang, the language tutor and interpreter, wanted to marry his girlfriend, a receptionist at a language school. The two shared a love for American TV — "Sex and the City" for her and "Lost" for him.

The closer they grew, the more she asked about their future and a home.

"I told her I loved her and would marry her if she didn't mind not having a house," Zhang said. "But she said no. I told her I wanted a house too, but I didn't know how. I'm not rich."

Zhang began checking real estate listings in his neighborhood a year and a half ago. He was stunned. An apartment of about 1,000 square feet cost $150,000. Zhang's parents, who run a modest bakery in northeast China, offered to help. But the $30,000 down payment was still well out of reach.

His girlfriend grew increasingly concerned. She wanted to get married while her grandparents were still healthy and could celebrate her wedding. Last December, she called off the relationship.

Zhang says he's finally over the breakup. His appetite has returned. He has even gone on a couple of dates.

He acknowledges he must begin saving money for an apartment, but he resents being judged by his inability to purchase property. He would rather have a woman love him for his charm than for the roof he puts over her head.

"People's values have changed," he said. "It doesn't matter if you're a nice guy or you're fun or good natured or have a sense of humor. They don't care. All they care about is a house."
Link here:
http://www.latimes.com/business/ ... a-bachelor-20100621,0,6214587,full.story
TheButler
Erotic Emperor

UID 31268
Digest Posts 0
Credits 2606
Posts 2131
Karma 2576
Acceptance 603
Reading Access 60
Registered 18-9-2009
Status Offline
Post at 25-6-2010 08:25  Profile P.M. 
Reply #1 atomic3d's post

Zhang's problem isn't the lack of a house . . . it's the HANDBAG carrying!    Jesus Christ what is the dude doing carrying the girl's handbag?  

I guess nobody wanted to clue him in because they found it funny?

I didn't do it.  Really I didn't.
The Butler
PhantomX
Carnal Conqueror

UID 2818
Digest Posts 0
Credits 255
Posts 206
Karma 254
Acceptance 11
Reading Access 30
Registered 11-8-2007
Status Offline
Post at 25-6-2010 08:37  Profile P.M. 
I stopped reading when it said he carried her purse. Grow some balls, if she doesn't want to go out with you because you don't own a house, go after a younger, better looking girl.
atomic3d
Throbbing Titan

UID 41127
Digest Posts 0
Credits 3282
Posts 2642
Karma 3157
Acceptance 2501
Reading Access 70
Registered 10-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 25-6-2010 08:51  Profile P.M. 
The whole carry the handbag thing is quite a common phenomenon amongst Shanghianese men, sounds like it's spreading to Beijing.
sexpert
Erotic Emperor

UID 6099
Digest Posts 0
Credits 2144
Posts 1895
Karma 2117
Acceptance 546
Reading Access 60
Registered 20-12-2007
Location NYC and Mong Kok
Status Offline
Post at 25-6-2010 09:18  Profile P.M. 
Yo, I carry my wife's handbag all the time!  Whenever she is carrying my youngest son, whenever she goes to the bathroom, whenever she takes the kids to the bathroom. LOL... nothing wrong with holding my wife's bag, matter of fact, chicks come and check me out even more, or perhaps it's the expensive handbag I'm holding, either way, any attention is always good attention! LOL...
geoduck
Godfather of Hole

UID 41248
Digest Posts 0
Credits 7512
Posts 3232
Karma 7419
Acceptance 1854
Reading Access 90
Registered 12-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 25-6-2010 10:08  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by sexpert at 25-6-2010 09:18
Yo, I carry my wife's handbag all the time!  Whenever she is carrying my youngest son, whenever she goes to the bathroom, whenever she takes the kids to the bathroom. LOL... nothing wrong with holding ...

Under the circumstances, it's OK to carry your wife's handbag if she's caring for a toddler in public. This Shanghainese guy is a wimp. I draw the line on carrying her handbag and have always told GF's that I can carry their luggage or shopping bags but a MAN should never carry a woman's handbag. I've seen plenty of guys in HK doing this and they look like wimps to me.

[ Last edited by  geoduck at 25-6-2010 10:19 ]
geoduck
Godfather of Hole

UID 41248
Digest Posts 0
Credits 7512
Posts 3232
Karma 7419
Acceptance 1854
Reading Access 90
Registered 12-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 25-6-2010 10:17  Profile P.M. 
Reply #1 atomic3d's post

If the GF really loved him she would stick with him through think and thin but these days in Asia, lots of women are like this. Everyone wants a good life. Don't think US$150,000 for a 1,000 SqFt apartment in Beijing (being a major capital city) is expensive.

Think this guy should either get a GF who isn't materialistic or move out into a suburb further from the city where property would be half the price.
Fifa
Buggered Beggar

UID 46420
Digest Posts 0
Credits -79
Posts 311
Karma -60
Acceptance -370
Reading Access 1
Registered 12-6-2010
Status Offline
Post at 25-6-2010 12:26  Profile P.M. 
Reply #3 PhantomX's post

Nice reply there! I'd say, Men need to be Men.
This is clearly all as a result of over-population and ofcourse chinas one child policy
sron63
Musky Member

UID 46524
Digest Posts 0
Credits 128
Posts 147
Karma 128
Acceptance 3
Reading Access 20
Registered 14-6-2010
Status Offline
Post at 25-6-2010 13:34  Profile P.M. 
if you're a good looking guy, nothing gonna to be a problem. or, said not problem with one girl.

if just normally man, house=insurance=$$ in girl's vision.

or, if you're rich enough... hire another girl to carry the bag.
TheButler
Erotic Emperor

UID 31268
Digest Posts 0
Credits 2606
Posts 2131
Karma 2576
Acceptance 603
Reading Access 60
Registered 18-9-2009
Status Offline
Post at 25-6-2010 13:58  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by sron63 at 25-6-2010 13:34
if you're rich enough... hire another girl to carry the bag.  ...

You want to hire a girl to carry your wife?!    Isn't that a bit much?  I usually just have the chauffeur wheel her around.  

I didn't do it.  Really I didn't.
The Butler
atomic3d
Throbbing Titan

UID 41127
Digest Posts 0
Credits 3282
Posts 2642
Karma 3157
Acceptance 2501
Reading Access 70
Registered 10-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 25-6-2010 14:03  Profile P.M. 
Truth is the woman did him a favour. Most guys spend many years of their lives and half their assets in a messy divorce before they learn a woman's real priorities.

The whole let me carry your handbag and be sensitive to your needs, new age male thing never worked in spite of what woman say. They want the exciting bad boys who treat them like shit, the nice guys are only there to pay the bills, this particular nice guy couldn't so she moved on.
asianman888
Carnal Conqueror

UID 18915
Digest Posts 0
Credits 373
Posts 144
Karma 368
Acceptance 98
Reading Access 30
Registered 18-1-2009
Status Offline
Post at 25-6-2010 15:38  Profile P.M. 
Oh, the handbag carrying thing gets on my nerves too. Just walk through Mongkok at night and you can see all these sissy guys holding their girl's bags. Well, in some cases it just might be their own bag I also hate the HK guys that stop every 5 seconds to check their hair in the mirror. The next time I see a guy check their hair in the reflection of the MTR glass barrier door, I'm going to bang his head into it

It is sad that China is so materialistic at this point. My friend's brother is the epitome of the average chinese guy living in Northern China. He doesn't make much, just around 1,500 rmb a month, and has no house or car of his own. He recently starting dating a girl that his family did not approve of.(short, not so pretty or educated) When asked why he chose her he responded with, "I'm not so handsome, I have no house or car, what else am I suppose to do?" Sad indeed. Well, luckily these guys can still visit prostitutes
atomic3d
Throbbing Titan

UID 41127
Digest Posts 0
Credits 3282
Posts 2642
Karma 3157
Acceptance 2501
Reading Access 70
Registered 10-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 25-6-2010 16:40  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by asianman888 at 25-6-2010 15:38
The next time I see a guy check their hair in the reflection of the MTR glass barrier door, I'm going to bang his head into it  ...

Don't be too hard on these guys, the competition in China after 30 years female selective abortion under the one child policy and rising feminism values must be intense, they have to look there best.

QUOTE:
Originally posted by asianman888 at 25-6-2010 15:38
Well, luckily these guys can still visit prostitutes ...

If he's only making 1500rmb a month then the only prostitute he can afford will be his right hand.

[ Last edited by  atomic3d at 25-6-2010 16:42 ]
speedracer
Lustful Lord

UID 17813
Digest Posts 0
Credits 512
Posts 346
Karma 507
Acceptance 91
Reading Access 40
Registered 24-12-2008
Status Offline
Post at 25-6-2010 21:42  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by atomic3d at 25-6-2010 08:51
The whole carry the handbag thing is quite a common phenomenon amongst Shanghianese men, sounds like it's spreading to Beijing.

When I was in Korea last month I noticed that all the guys there were holding the girls purses. Not only that a ton of them wore the same stupid outfits.
speedracer
Lustful Lord

UID 17813
Digest Posts 0
Credits 512
Posts 346
Karma 507
Acceptance 91
Reading Access 40
Registered 24-12-2008
Status Offline
Post at 25-6-2010 21:46  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by atomic3d at 25-6-2010 08:51

When I was in Korea last month I noticed that all the guys there were holding the girls purses. Not only that a ton of them wore the same stupid outfits.
geoduck
Godfather of Hole

UID 41248
Digest Posts 0
Credits 7512
Posts 3232
Karma 7419
Acceptance 1854
Reading Access 90
Registered 12-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 26-6-2010 00:49  Profile P.M. 
Reply #13 atomic3d's post

Think at RMB1,500 salary a month, a punter would be stretching it if he paid RMB100-150 for a BBS girl but he could still get a young teenager at many other BBS shop to jack him off for RMB30 for one hour. Yes, I've seen these places before, HJ only and you can feel up the girl and theWG look as young as 14!
lean9088
Carnal Conqueror

UID 29244
Digest Posts 0
Credits 406
Posts 351
Karma 403
Acceptance 51
Reading Access 30
Registered 13-8-2009
Status Offline
Post at 26-6-2010 01:45  Profile P.M. 
One asshole made a comment....

------
  JohnJasonChun at 6:45 AM June 25, 2010

ALL YOU CHINESE MEN IN CHINA! MAKE INVESTMENTS WISELEY. DON'T WASTE MONEY ON A HIGH PRICED PROPERTY/CONDO TO WIN A WOMAN. WOMEN ARE LIKE CARS! TOO MANY AND MANY ARE CHEAPER THAN OTHERS. JUST KEEP "shopping" and don't buy a car! Don't get married! You are a sucker if you do get married. I am a Chinese/Japanese 3rd Generation American Man in California! Southern California in Newport Beach worth about $100million ++. Not married and no kids! Been around the world 4 times, filled 5 passports! Researched 68 countires in person for finance, laws, women, investments, politics, curriencies, real estate, and family laws. USA is the best because you don't have to get married to have a kid or kids. And if the woman is unemployed, you keep the kid and the laws protect you!
Kennichi
Kinky King

UID 9144
Digest Posts 0
Credits 1607
Posts 1363
Karma 1569
Acceptance 759
Reading Access 50
Registered 6-3-2008
Status Offline
Post at 26-6-2010 03:26  Profile P.M. 
Erm didn't traditional Chinese weddings have a dowry negotiation before hand?

So really what's changed other than being more upfront about it?

Can scrubb the bit about for richer and poorer though.

Heh crap the UK chinese community seems to be falling apart I've noticed, I've been to about 6 divorce parties recently (which was just the guy after losing his high power city job going out for some beers and the trophy wife buggers off)

Life is short very...
atomic3d
Throbbing Titan

UID 41127
Digest Posts 0
Credits 3282
Posts 2642
Karma 3157
Acceptance 2501
Reading Access 70
Registered 10-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 26-6-2010 03:28  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by lean9088 at 26-6-2010 01:45
USA is the best because you don't have to get married to have a kid or kids. And if the woman is unemployed, you keep the kid and the laws protect you! ...

This guy obviously doesn't know what he's talking about, once you get some woman pregnant then you just gave her a job for the next 20-30 years and guess who'll being signing her cheques.
darmour88
Kinky King

UID 26038
Digest Posts 0
Credits 1071
Posts 408
Karma 1064
Acceptance 143
Reading Access 50
Registered 8-6-2009
Status Offline
Post at 26-6-2010 04:27  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by geoduck at 25-6-2010 10:17
If the GF really loved him she would stick with him through think and thin but these days in Asia, lots of women are like this. Everyone wants a good life. Don't think US$150,000 for a 1,000 SqFt apar ...

It's tough to find a non-materialistic girl in China nowadays. It doesn't mean they dont exist. But they aren't too many out there. Plus even for guys, there's pressure for them to get married before they're 30. The reason why the girls are getting away with it is that the guys are ok with this. If the guys didn't take this and kicked the materialistic girls to the curb, then the girls would not be like that. But for a guy to be older and not married, they would loose face. So they do it out of fear that they will be 30-35+ without a wife. Also... in China you will have guys fighting over girls that are materialistic just because the girl is a beauty. Certain asian countries are all about looks for the most part. What's underneath does not matter to most of them. Sorry if this offended any asians here. But this is my observation. Was just talking to a few of my asian brothers today (25-30) age group. Asked them what's more important, looks? or personality? They all looked at each other and said "looks! I dont care about anything else, just looks!"