Karma 8967
Acceptance 2136
Reading Access 90
Registered 19-1-2010
Status Offline
Post at 6-8-2010 14:33  Profile P.M. 
Font size: S M L
Reply #20 geoduck's post

uh oh... my iPad is on its way to me... what is the bug called GD? i'm gonna do some research as well
atomic3d
Throbbing Titan

UID 41127
Digest Posts 0
Credits 3282
Posts 2642
Karma 3157
Acceptance 2501
Reading Access 70
Registered 10-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 6-8-2010 17:13  Profile P.M. 
Apple to fix security hole in iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch software
August 6, 2010 - 11:49AM

Apple is planning to release a fix for a security hole in the software that runs on its iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch devices.

Hackers could gain access to data stored on Apple's gadgets by putting a PDF file with hidden code onto a website and luring people to visit the site.

Apple did not say when the software update will be available.

The flaw drew attention after it was used for a program that lets people "jailbreak" iPhones in order to run programs Apple hasn't approved for sale in its iTunes store.

The company declined to say whether it knows of malicious hackers actively exploiting the flaw.
A German government agency issued an official warning about the flaw Wednesday.
AP
Link here:
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-li ... 20100806-11lc5.html
geoduck
Godfather of Hole

UID 41248
Digest Posts 0
Credits 7512
Posts 3232
Karma 7419
Acceptance 1854
Reading Access 90
Registered 12-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 6-8-2010 18:54  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by DaBestHK at 6-8-2010 14:33
uh oh... my iPad is on its way to me... what is the bug called GD? i'm gonna do some research as well

Today, I installed the airport express at home and the iPad could still not get the correct IP address. Apple has acknowledged this WiFi problem and suggested some fixes but according to Princeton University, nothing works. I've tried everything and nothing helps. The iPad can still go online in the office and my other routers but not at home. Check out this website"

http://www.appleinsider.com/arti ... wi_fi_problems.html
bsnake
Carnal Conqueror

UID 42706
Digest Posts 0
Credits 348
Posts 362
Karma 348
Acceptance 1
Reading Access 30
Registered 7-4-2010
Status Offline
Post at 6-8-2010 20:14  Profile P.M. 
Apple seems to be having it's share of problems these days.  A distraction from the antenna issue.
nyc2k
Musky Member

UID 24838
Digest Posts 0
Credits 109
Posts 164
Karma 110
Acceptance -16
Reading Access 20
Registered 12-5-2009
Status Offline
Post at 6-8-2010 22:32  Profile P.M. 
I just got an iPad, best purchase of 2010. Take it everywhere around with me, on the train, bus and hopefully overseas as well.
geoduck
Godfather of Hole

UID 41248
Digest Posts 0
Credits 7512
Posts 3232
Karma 7419
Acceptance 1854
Reading Access 90
Registered 12-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 7-8-2010 02:46  Profile P.M. 
Reply #21 DaBestHK's post

DaBest, I have talked to Apple Care and they admit they have received a lot of complaints about the WiFi Connection problem and have not received any directive from Apple on how to fix this. Apple still claims that a small number of iPads have been affected but according to Apple Care here, almost half of all the new iPads have this problem and no one knows how many have owners have not reported this situation.
DaBestHK
Godfather of Hole

UID 38266
Digest Posts 0
Credits 9074
Posts 6140
Karma 8967
Acceptance 2136
Reading Access 90
Registered 19-1-2010
Status Offline
Post at 7-8-2010 08:30  Profile P.M. 
Reply #26 geoduck's post

that is not very encouraging GD. considering i got the Wifi version and no 3G. i hope Apple HK will allow a product return in case mine has the WiFi problem.
geoduck
Godfather of Hole

UID 41248
Digest Posts 0
Credits 7512
Posts 3232
Karma 7419
Acceptance 1854
Reading Access 90
Registered 12-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 7-8-2010 08:54  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by DaBestHK at 7-8-2010 08:30
that is not very encouraging GD. considering i got the Wifi version and no 3G. i hope Apple HK will allow a product return in case mine has the WiFi problem.

When you get the iPad, first check whether it's working at home and then go to different places with a WiFi connection and see if it connects normally there. With my unit, it does work sometimes with my home WiFi router, say 5% of the time. When I lock the iPad, or when it goes to sleep, it stops connecting once I turn it on again.

On the iPad, go to Settings, WiFi and select the router details and if the IP address starts with the numbers 169, this means it's not connecting. As Apple does not recognize this as a problem, don't think you can get a refund in HK. It's only in the US where you can return it.

Perhaps you'll be lucky and one of the 50% that does not encounter this problem. Good luck to you, DaBest, please let me know whether you encounter this problem once you get your unit.

Recent Ratings
DaBestHK   7-8-2010 09:01  Acceptance  +2   will do
asia-play
Master Mongerer

UID 14959
Digest Posts 0
Credits 5586
Posts 4765
Karma 5545
Acceptance 820
Reading Access 80
Registered 7-10-2008
Location Hong Kong
Status Offline
Post at 7-8-2010 09:05  Profile P.M. 
Reply #28 geoduck's post

This problem was reported on the 3.2 firmware. I noticed this problem as well and was quite annoying. If you update to the 3.2.1 firmware, the wifi issue is resolved. Havetried it and have no problems with the wifi connection.

Apple Care in HK should replace the iPad on the spot if any hardware issue is found. In saying that, Apple Care have limited stock available for unit replacements given that every man and his dog are after one! Most are saying their units to China to make a handsome profit. Just don't take no for an answer!
geoduck
Godfather of Hole

UID 41248
Digest Posts 0
Credits 7512
Posts 3232
Karma 7419
Acceptance 1854
Reading Access 90
Registered 12-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 7-8-2010 09:13  Profile P.M. 
Reply #29 asia-play's post

I have updated the iPad with the firmware 3.2.1 (7B405) but this did not resolve the WiFi connection problem. It's just annoying that it doesn't work in my home where I use it the most and yet works in most other places.
asia-play
Master Mongerer

UID 14959
Digest Posts 0
Credits 5586
Posts 4765
Karma 5545
Acceptance 820
Reading Access 80
Registered 7-10-2008
Location Hong Kong
Status Offline
Post at 7-8-2010 10:22  Profile P.M. 
Reply #30 geoduck's post

Have you tried to use a different wifi router? I had the same problem and when I changed my wifi router (first generation n wifi router) to a newer Linksys model, all problems were solved.
geoduck
Godfather of Hole

UID 41248
Digest Posts 0
Credits 7512
Posts 3232
Karma 7419
Acceptance 1854
Reading Access 90
Registered 12-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 7-8-2010 10:36  Profile P.M. 
Reply #31 asia-play's post

Thanks for the tip. I did try the Airport Express and it still didn't work. It does work in the office with a new Linksys router, in Singapore with a very old Linksys router and in China with an old TP-Link router. I will bring back the Linksys router back from the office and give it a try. At home I have a TP-Link router which is about 14 months old.
tonkachi
Lustful Lord

UID 3263
Digest Posts 0
Credits 841
Posts 565
Karma 820
Acceptance 410
Reading Access 40
Registered 18-9-2007
Status Offline
Post at 8-8-2010 03:13  Profile P.M. 
I bought a pad about 2 weeks ago and haven't had any of the wifi issues with it...given my router from home is about 2-3 years old, one of the WRT54GS linksys models with DD-WRT.  GD do you have any type of mac-filtering set up on your router, I had that setup on my router and when i tried to connect my new laptop I spent a good 2 days trying to figure out why the hell it couldn't connect but everything else did......
geoduck
Godfather of Hole

UID 41248
Digest Posts 0
Credits 7512
Posts 3232
Karma 7419
Acceptance 1854
Reading Access 90
Registered 12-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 8-8-2010 05:19  Profile P.M. 
Reply #33 tonkachi's post

I finally solved my connection problem by purchasing a new router. I now have the Airport Extreme and after installing this have not encountered lapses in connection. It was rather weird as the TP-Link I had used had connected with every other device including blackberry, MacBook Pro and the iPhone but not the iPad.
DaBestHK
Godfather of Hole

UID 38266
Digest Posts 0
Credits 9074
Posts 6140
Karma 8967
Acceptance 2136
Reading Access 90
Registered 19-1-2010
Status Offline
Post at 8-8-2010 07:37  Profile P.M. 
Reply #34 geoduck's post

so now your iPad costs even more, what with having to buy a new router

their delivery schedules just went shorter. was supposed to receive mine Aug 19, last night got an email that told me i will get it on the 11th.

[ Last edited by  DaBestHK at 8-8-2010 08:09 ]
geoduck
Godfather of Hole

UID 41248
Digest Posts 0
Credits 7512
Posts 3232
Karma 7419
Acceptance 1854
Reading Access 90
Registered 12-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 8-8-2010 08:04  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by DaBestHK at 8-8-2010 07:37
so now your iPad costs even more, what with having to buy a new router   ...

DaBest, You think I paid more? That's only the start of it

After I got the router working, went overboard with app purchases but it was the new Amazon app that got me buying books which ended up costing more than the new router! That Amazon app is amazing so don't fall into the trap of buying everything when you get your iPad. It's tempting because the iPad comes with very little software. I'm still playing with it now and didn't get any sleep yet!

Have FUN with your new iPad. I am certain you'll enjoy it!

[ Last edited by  geoduck at 8-8-2010 08:19 ]
haroldla
Banned

UID 23978
Digest Posts 0
Credits 1157
Posts 795
Karma 1156
Acceptance 10
Reading Access 0
Registered 24-4-2009
Status Offline
Post at 8-8-2010 19:39  Profile P.M. 
i think the prices start to come down now. so be careful.
geoduck
Godfather of Hole

UID 41248
Digest Posts 0
Credits 7512
Posts 3232
Karma 7419
Acceptance 1854
Reading Access 90
Registered 12-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 12-8-2010 22:21  Profile P.M. 
iPod Touch can be turned into an iPhone

This article is from the SCMP, Aug 11th, 2010. Very interesting if they could make the iPod Touch and iPad into a full fledge phone.

iPhone imitator has tech world buzzing      

A small electronics team from Shenzhen has the tech world buzzing with a new device that could add a new lease of life to Apple's iPod Touch while at the same time making a dent in sales of its iPhone.
Apple, meet the Apple Peel 520 - pun intended - which the team says can turn any iPod Touch into an iPhone.

The gadget is expected to move into mass production just as soon as it clears the small obstacle called intellectual property rights (IPR).

The Apple Peel 520 is based on an idea that a 24-year-old mainland programmer came up with about a year and a half ago. It encases an iPod Touch - which is a media player, personal organiser and Wi-fi platform all rolled into one - and provides it with additional functions such as voice calling and text messaging by using a built-in SIM card slot and battery.

Needless to say, it has caught the eyes of Apple product fans since it was revealed online late last month. It has also attracted the attention of popular US-based gadget sites such as Dailytech.com and Engadget.com, which translated the first review of a prototype of the Peel written by a Guangzhou-based technology company - one of two gadget websites to receive a copy.

One thousand copies of the device have been made. The remainder are in a warehouse in Shenzhen.

Yosion Technology, the company responsible for the Peel and which employs fewer than 10 people, told the South China Morning Post (SEHK: 0583, announcements, news) yesterday that the positive response its design had received so far had won it great interest from manufacturers.

"We could start mass production overnight, but before we do, we and the manufacturers need to solve the possible IPR problem," a member of the team said by phone.

The man, who said he was the firm's spokesman, said the idea for the Peel came from his 24-year-old brother, a young programmer who had just graduated from university.

"He thought it was inconvenient to have a mobile and an iPod Touch at the same time and decided to combine them into one," the spokesman said. So his brother quit his job, borrowed some money from family and friends and started his one-man research and development effort in late 2008.

According to Yosion and two early reviews, the Peel contains a good battery, dock connector, vibrator and a SIM card slot. It allows 4-1/2 hours of talk time and 120 hours on standby.

But to have the device properly function as a phone, the reviews said users will have to "jailbreak" (break into the software of) the iPod Touch and then install Yosion's software.

Both reviews said SIM cards used in an iPhone will also work in a Peel, which will help maintain high quality for voice calls.

The Yosion spokesman said the firm wasn't too concerned about the IPR problem, as its main focus was the software for the device.

"But the manufacturers [who have expressed interest] are concerned about violating Apple's copyright. So our top priority at this moment is to consult with legal experts," he said.

Yosion said the online price for the Peel would be about 388 yuan (HK$445).

Chen Hui , a Guangzhou photographer who bought an iPod Touch in 2008 for about HK$1,800 and an iPhone early this year, said he would not have bought an iPhone if the Peel had existed at the time. An iPhone 3G costs more than 4,000 yuan on the mainland. "It is worth a try to make the iPod Touch a phone at just one-tenth of the cost [of an iPhone]," Chen said.

The Yosion spokesman said they had not contacted Apple as they were such a small team and did not expect to be given a channel to talk to the technology giant. Apple's offices in Hong Kong and Beijing could not be reached for comment yesterday.
DaBestHK
Godfather of Hole

UID 38266
Digest Posts 0
Credits 9074
Posts 6140
Karma 8967
Acceptance 2136
Reading Access 90
Registered 19-1-2010
Status Offline
Post at 13-8-2010 08:09  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by haroldla at 8-8-2010 19:39
i think the prices start to come down now. so be careful.

dude, you know what you're talking about? which prices are starting to come down now?
atomic3d
Throbbing Titan

UID 41127
Digest Posts 0
Credits 3282
Posts 2642
Karma 3157
Acceptance 2501
Reading Access 70
Registered 10-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 23-8-2010 20:21  Profile P.M. 
Looks like yet another fault emerging.

iPhone 4 camera rendered 'useless' by mysterious fault
Ben Grubb

Apple iPhone 4 users are reporting another issue with the smartphone: photos obscured by an annoying coloured tinge.
Fan forums have been littered with users who say their photos are being tainted by blue, yellow and green splotches.
Apple has already had to address user concern over an antenna issue with the device, which, if held a certain way, degrades the iPhone 4's network performance when connecting to mobile towers.
To address that issue, dubbed "Antennagate", the company decided it would give its users free cases, which it predicted could cost the company $US175 million ($200m) in revenue. The free case, or "bumper", fixes the issue.
Just weeks after the Antennagate controversy, Mark Papermaster, the Apple executive in charge of iPhone engineering, left the company.
Australian tech blog Techau.tv today reports that the image issue appears to only occur when taking images with the rear-facing camera under fluorescent indoor lighting conditions.
It says the problem causes photos to "have a blue tint that appears as a circle from the centre of the photo".
"The tint is so bad it renders photos under these conditions effectively useless," it says.
The issue also appears to affect the front-facing camera, although not as severely.
A Google search reveals that the issue is widespread, with many forum users revealing they too have the issue.
Apple's official support forum shows users complaining of an image issue too, where whole images are tinged yellow.
After the issue was first raised in the 27-page Apple forum thread, many other issues affecting the camera have been reported by iPhone 4 users.
Anthony Agius, who runs the MacTalk.com.au forum website, said that the issue affected his iPhone 4. He said the problem was "certainly legit", but that he didn't know what caused it.
MacTalk's forum users have been reporting the issue since the start of this month, but international forums caught on earlier when the iPhone 4 was released in the US, with Macrumors.com users posting about it in various threads.
Users of the Samsung Omnia II are also reporting issues.
Apple Australia is yet to respond to a request for comment.
Link here:
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-li ... 20100823-13ehb.html