Subject: Delhi Commonwealth Games - who thinks they will be safe??
  This thread has been closed by sexyloser at 18-5-2024 10:38. 
lister01
Kinky King

UID 26517
Digest Posts 0
Credits 1674
Posts 754
Karma 1656
Acceptance 359
Reading Access 50
Registered 19-6-2009
Location Melbourne, OZ
Status Offline
Post at 20-9-2010 18:46  Profile P.M. 
Font size: S M L
Delhi Commonwealth Games - who thinks they will be safe??

http://www.news.com.au/world/sec ... rfkyi-1225926571601

AUSTRALIA has updated its travel advisory for India but stopped short of warning people against visiting in the wake of a shooting at a Delhi mosque.

A terrorist group, Indian Mujahideen, has claimed responsibility for the attack at the Jama Masjid mosque in New Delhi yesterday, which injured two Thai nationals.

The mosque is Delhi's largest and located some 500m from the renowned Red Fort tourist attraction.

Attackers on a motorbike fired sub-machine guns at a tourist bus in an incident just a fortnight before Delhi hosts the Commonwealth Games.

Australia's travel advisory to India was updated today, noting the attack.

But the essence of the advisory remained unchanged.

"We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in India at this time because of the high risk of terrorist activity by militant groups," the advisory said.

"Pay close attention to your personal security at all times and monitor the media for information about possible new safety or security risks.

"Terrorist attacks could occur at any time anywhere in India with little or no warning."

A linked advisory for the October 3-14 Commonwealth Games was also updated to include information about yesterday's attack.

"Australians in New Delhi should be aware that the Commonwealth Games will be held in a security environment where there is a high risk of terrorism," the advisory said.

I must admit that every time the Olympics and the Commonwealth Games come around, I think this will be the one to be marred by extremist terrorist attacks. Will Delhi 2010 be the one?

I guess there are 2 ways to look at this. First, the Indian authorities will not be able to get their act together and there will be violence, or second, the terrorist groups know that they will not away with anything once the Games have begun, so have used this opportunity to make a statement before the security is fully in place.

I for one would not be travelling to watch these Games. I have a bad feeling about this...
Kennichi
Kinky King

UID 9144
Digest Posts 0
Credits 1607
Posts 1363
Karma 1569
Acceptance 759
Reading Access 50
Registered 6-3-2008
Status Offline
Post at 20-9-2010 18:55  Profile P.M. 
If you listen to the foreign office about their travel advisories you wouldn't leave the house.

For my own travels the FCO said don't go to Georgia. Corrupt cops and gangster activity warned people off.

I went there no problem, left my bike with non secure luggage on the back in loads of places...

OTOH the FCO said Azerbaijan was perfectly safe. I had the shit kicked out of me in Azerbaijan.

Life is short very...
lister01
Kinky King

UID 26517
Digest Posts 0
Credits 1674
Posts 754
Karma 1656
Acceptance 359
Reading Access 50
Registered 19-6-2009
Location Melbourne, OZ
Status Offline
Post at 20-9-2010 19:06  Profile P.M. 
Reply #2 Kennichi's post

Agreed that the travel advisories are crap.

I probably should have looked for an article with a less Australian lean to it.

There is a big difference between travelling on your own and travelling to an event that attracts huge international attention, and is so large and spread out and with so many people involved that it presents an appealing target for terrorists, who are essentially just after cheap publicity for their cause. Going to the Games in Delhi just seems like painting a great big target on your forehead - your odds of running into trouble have got to be higher than at any other time in India?

Anyway, let's hope the authorities are up to the challenge and it all happens peacefully.
atomic3d
Throbbing Titan

UID 41127
Digest Posts 0
Credits 3282
Posts 2642
Karma 3157
Acceptance 2501
Reading Access 70
Registered 10-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 20-9-2010 19:11  Profile P.M. 
Reply #3 lister01's post

There was an item on the T.V. news, a bus with tourists was targeted. The gunmen ignored the Indians shooting only at foreigners.

The terrorists understand that native casualties would only result in bad PR and won't advance their cause.

If you already have tickets and can pass for Indian, then it may be worth the risk otherwise stay well clear.
yo0n
Musky Member

UID 52105
Digest Posts 0
Credits 101
Posts 89
Karma 101
Acceptance 4
Reading Access 20
Registered 20-9-2010
Status Offline
Post at 20-9-2010 19:32  Profile P.M. 
i think that the commonwealth games will be safe, esp cos of the heightened security that delhi will supply!! but then again, i wouldnt like to be there if something bad happens!
lister01
Kinky King

UID 26517
Digest Posts 0
Credits 1674
Posts 754
Karma 1656
Acceptance 359
Reading Access 50
Registered 19-6-2009
Location Melbourne, OZ
Status Offline
Post at 20-9-2010 20:45  Profile P.M. 
I just stumbled  across this - http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/new ... elhi-security-risk/

No doubt it is sensationalist journalism and I think it must be taken with a grain of salt, but we've all seen examples of Indian authorities and their incompetence.

International cricket cannot be played in Pakistan, India's closest neighbour, and comparisons can be drawn both in the challenges they face and their own abilities. I simply do not think they will be able to cope!
aixpride
Carnal Conqueror

UID 9919
Digest Posts 0
Credits 365
Posts 211
Karma 363
Acceptance 34
Reading Access 30
Registered 29-3-2008
Status Offline
Post at 20-9-2010 22:32  Profile P.M. 
the commonwealth games might be safe, but the transport and arenas will be crap.  i was there recently and things weren't halfway near being complete to international event standards.
southstar
Musky Member

UID 4768
Digest Posts 0
Credits 175
Posts 125
Karma 170
Acceptance 102
Reading Access 20
Registered 19-11-2007
Status Offline
Post at 21-9-2010 00:30  Profile P.M. 
Reply #5 yo0n's post

I also saw in TV today that in Germany a woman went into a hospital and shot dead four people. Does this mean Germany is not safe? Actually in terms of gun violence the country to avoid is the US!
atomic3d
Throbbing Titan

UID 41127
Digest Posts 0
Credits 3282
Posts 2642
Karma 3157
Acceptance 2501
Reading Access 70
Registered 10-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 21-9-2010 05:38  Profile P.M. 
Reply #8 southstar's post

While I agree about the silly gun culture in the U.S. I see no connection between a crazy woman waltzing into a hospital and shooting indiscriminately and terrorists targeting foreigners.
reggid
Lustful Lord

UID 36262
Digest Posts 0
Credits 714
Posts 509
Karma 710
Acceptance 87
Reading Access 40
Registered 17-12-2009
Location Sydney
Status Offline
Post at 21-9-2010 09:42  Profile P.M. 
there are terrorists who will be targeting foreigners and there will be lots of foreigners at that time............there is better coverage on TV anyway.
lister01
Kinky King

UID 26517
Digest Posts 0
Credits 1674
Posts 754
Karma 1656
Acceptance 359
Reading Access 50
Registered 19-6-2009
Location Melbourne, OZ
Status Offline
Post at 21-9-2010 10:40  Profile P.M. 
Reply #8 southstar's post

Are you Indian? Just curious to know if you have any statistics to back this statement up?

I only ask because when I went to India a few years back, I was amazed at the level of violence that was reported in the papers there, that never makes it to the Western press.

Two that stuck in my mind was the killing of two students, by their fellow students, because they were from a different religious/cultural group. The other was a policeman who got very drunk and shot 5 people in the street! I am no expert, but I believe there are that many sects/cultures/ groups who do not get along in India, and the level of violence is staggering.

reggid has hit the nail on the head - the Games will provide a perfect opportunity to publicise their message to an international market.
lister01
Kinky King

UID 26517
Digest Posts 0
Credits 1674
Posts 754
Karma 1656
Acceptance 359
Reading Access 50
Registered 19-6-2009
Location Melbourne, OZ
Status Offline
Post at 21-9-2010 23:19  Profile P.M. 
Wow... the Games could be in doubt. The facilities are not up to scratch and the first Aussie athlete has withdrawn. This could be a big win for the terrorists..

http://www.news.com.au/world/bri ... rfkyi-1225927555089
kaleu
Throbbing Titan

UID 45445
Digest Posts 0
Credits 3308
Posts 1512
Karma 3224
Acceptance 1672
Reading Access 70
Registered 24-5-2010
Location PRC
Status Offline
Post at 22-9-2010 05:06  Profile P.M. 
It was a little funny to read of the bridge collapse except for all the people who got hurt.  I feel bad for India because this whole thing looks like it's about to blow up in their face.

Having been to the World Expo in Shanghai, I have to say China is decades ahead of India in terms of getting things done right and on time.  That's not to say there isn't a lot of corruption in China, and low quality standards, but they seem to just throw endless resources and people at the problems until the work gets done.  Not efficient, but effective.
TonyToro
Throbbing Titan

UID 37475
Digest Posts 0
Credits 4498
Posts 2853
Karma 4389
Acceptance 2182
Reading Access 70
Registered 7-1-2010
Status Offline
Post at 22-9-2010 07:46  Profile P.M. 
Seems like the question has been answered for us. A Shame really, these events can put places on the map for a time... in a good way or a bad way.
plexway
Nookie Newbie

UID 52269
Digest Posts 0
Credits 2
Posts 2
Karma 2
Acceptance 0
Reading Access 10
Registered 23-9-2010
Status Offline
Post at 23-9-2010 08:31  Profile P.M. 
The commonwealth games will still go ahead (albeit potentially not fully in the style that most people are used to for an event of this nature.) T

he Indian Government is highly concerned with showing the world that they are capable of staging big events i.e. China and the Olympics in 2008 (although i am not so sure about the showing the world aspect as it is only the commonwealth countries that would see these games if i am correct,) however it is part of a strategy that also includes India having the right to host a round of the formula 1 world championship from next year for the next 10 years or so, therefore if a major security situation was to occur this would have catastrophic repercussions for other events.

Expect to see a high army presence when the games start.
lister01
Kinky King

UID 26517
Digest Posts 0
Credits 1674
Posts 754
Karma 1656
Acceptance 359
Reading Access 50
Registered 19-6-2009
Location Melbourne, OZ
Status Offline
Post at 23-9-2010 09:32  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by plexway at 23-9-2010 08:31
The commonwealth games will still go ahead (albeit potentially not fully in the style that most people are used to for an event of this nature.) ...

This could be India's most successful games to date... because they might be the only country who competes at this rate!

Delhi given 48 hours to improve Games

THE organisers of the Delhi Commonwealth Games have been given 48 hours to bring venues and facilities up to scratch and allay athletes' safety fears....

India has tried to play down the recent crises as just "minor glitches" but the England team chairman said last night that the Games were on a "knife's edge" and that their fate would be decided within the next 48 hours....

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/world/del ... 91771#ixzz10JPIp4aB
atomic3d
Throbbing Titan

UID 41127
Digest Posts 0
Credits 3282
Posts 2642
Karma 3157
Acceptance 2501
Reading Access 70
Registered 10-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 24-9-2010 05:13  Profile P.M. 
Games village exposed as Indian PM set to seize control
THE full extent of the appalling conditions in the Commonwealth Games athletes' village has been revealed in photos leaked by a Games official.
The pictures, which show filthy bathrooms, animal footprints on beds and exposed wiring, emerged as the Indian Prime Minister prepared to take control of the Games.
The news came as a company providing security to Australians attending the event warned that the chances of a serious terrorist incident had increased because of a failure to "lock down" venues. The security expert warned that radical groups had abandoned mobile phone technology to avoid detection.
The Herald also understands that the Australian Commonwealth Games Association has made its own arrangements for the cleaning of the accommodation Australian athletes will use.
The Indian Prime Minister, Manmohan Singh, held crisis talks yesterday with his Sports Minister, M. S. Gill, and the Urban Development Minister, S. Jaipaul Reddy, who is chairman of a top-level ministerial supervisory group that has been criticised over its failure to ensure a smooth build-up to the Games. Despite this meeting there is continuing speculation about the participation of many teams.
The New Zealand team will delay their departure by at least two days because of the state of the village.
The Prime Minister, Julia Gillard, said attending the Games was a decision for individuals after they had considered the government's travel advice.
Although the Delhi Police Commissioner, Y. S. Dadwal, promised ''foolproof'' security, intelligence experts still believe an attack is more likely than not.
The head of one company employed to protect Australians said: ''We've changed our assessment because we've received intelligence that terror organisations are operating without cellular phones, which means assessments of their levels of 'chatter' are totally outdated."
The security expert criticised authorities for failing to cordon off venues. "Lockdown should have begun about two weeks ago, whereby search protocol is put into place for anybody entering certain important venues, but that just hasn't happened.
"Our assessment on the likelihood of an attack hasn't changed. We still think it more likely than not but we now believe there's a much greater chance of a major terrorist incident with a high number of fatalities than we thought before. It also becomes more likely that we could see a co-ordinated attack with multiple explosive devices."
Delhi's Chief Minister, Sheila Dikshit, visited team officials to tell them all efforts were being made to ensure the athletes' village was habitable. She has ordered about 60 top public servants to work from the village. Each will have responsibility for a single accommodation block and powers to cut through red tape.
Mike Hooper, the chief executive of the Commonwealth Games Federation, said he noticed a positive change among the representatives of competing nations yesterday. "There was definitely a mood change this morning at the chefs de mission meeting,'' he said. "There are still lots of issues to address but it's clear the right level of resources are being made available and Sheila Dikshit's team are being seen to get things done. It's a shame it didn't happen before.''
But Hooper's request that the federation's president, Michael Fennell, meet Dr Singh has yet to be granted. Fennell, who was expected to arrive in India last night, is due to meet the top public servant today.
Mike Keelan, the acting chief executive of the Australian Weightlifting Federation, said that after talking to the association's chief executive, Perry Crosswhite, he was satisfied the village would be fine.
The three towers where the Australian team would stay were ''a little bit dirty'' but contract cleaners the association had brought in had left them pristine, Keelan said. He said Crosswhite had reassured him the weightlifting venue was safe despite its ceiling collapsing this week.
Link here:
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/game ... y4.html?from=smh_sb

Attachment: Your usergroup does not have permission to access attachments
Myworld
Carnal Conqueror

UID 25612
Digest Posts 0
Credits 201
Posts 213
Karma 201
Acceptance 4
Reading Access 30
Registered 29-5-2009
Status Offline
Post at 24-9-2010 12:06  Profile P.M. 
Reply #17 atomic3d's post

I heard that some Indian official said that the westerners have a different standard of hygiene than the local Indian.

If that is true, I would be "terrified" to be invited to a home of the local Indian family.
lister01
Kinky King

UID 26517
Digest Posts 0
Credits 1674
Posts 754
Karma 1656
Acceptance 359
Reading Access 50
Registered 19-6-2009
Location Melbourne, OZ
Status Offline
Post at 24-9-2010 14:07  Profile P.M. 
Reply #18 Myworld's post

This kinda links in with the thread about mongering in India.

I had done some research into it, but when I got there I found everything so filthy that the last thing I wanted to do was get my cock out. I remember that after a couple of hours walking around shopping, my hands would be black from handling Indian money. Disgusting!

Some people say that India is a wonderful, colorful country. I just couldn't see it through the dust and the grime...

[ Last edited by  lister01 at 24-9-2010 14:08 ]
atomic3d
Throbbing Titan

UID 41127
Digest Posts 0
Credits 3282
Posts 2642
Karma 3157
Acceptance 2501
Reading Access 70
Registered 10-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 27-9-2010 06:41  Profile P.M. 
Snake allegedly found in athlete's room at Commonwealth Games
        •        Athlete claims he found snake in room
        •        Bed collapses under weight of 56kg boxer
        •        Indian army drafted to complete projects
A SNAKE has reportedly been found by a competitor in his room at the athletes' village in Delhi ahead of the A South African athlete was reported to have discovered the reptile, raising more questions about the state of accommodations in the village.
"We have very grave concerns," South African High Commissioner Harris Mbulelo said.
"If snakes are found, we can't ask our teams to stay there."
There have been a slew of complaints about the condition of the rooms at the village, prompting some athletes not to attend the competition, which opens October 3.
Boxer Akhil Kumar, who won gold for India in the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne, said his bed collapsed.
"When I sat down on my bed to take a rest, it collapsed," he said.
At the same time, the Indian army has been drafted to complete last-minute construction projects.
About 1,000 soldiers have been recruited to work on infrastructure, including the building of a vital pedestrian bridge to the main stadium.
The SOS to the army came amid reports eleventh hour eviction notices have been served to Delhi's slum dwellers to clear the area around the athletes' village.
Meanwhile, members of Team England said they would stay in the village for the first time.
A group of about 20 support staff will stay in the heavily-criticized accommodation to ensure that conditions are suitable for the first set of athletes to move in on Monday.
Forty-eight athletes from the hockey, lawn bowls and shooting teams were expected to be the first to move in, followed Tuesday by 36 more competitors from gymnastics, archery and weightlifting.
Link here:
http://www.news.com.au/world/sna ... rfkyi-1225929776745