Subject: Resource: Translation tools for non-Chinese speakers
  This thread has been closed by sexyloser at 18-5-2024 11:00. 
frontline
Kinky King

UID 66775
Digest Posts 0
Credits 1683
Posts 94
Karma 1676
Acceptance 144
Reading Access 50
Registered 30-5-2011
Status Offline
Post at 24-8-2011 23:18  Profile P.M. 
Font size: S M L
Resource: Translation tools for non-Chinese speakers

I've lived in Asia for a few years now and I've always managed to live in the most out-of-the-way, not a Westerner in sight kind of places, so I've picked up pretty decent proficiency with the tools necessary to communicate in Chinese out here. So, I'm going to list them below for your review:

First things first. In the age of smartphones, there's no reason you should have extensive problems communicating unless you're too poor to afford a smartphone. That said, it's probably worthwhile for you to stop punting for a month to save up for one, it'll pay off the long run.

Since not everyone owns an iPhone, I'll start with a generic tool:

MDBG.net, a dictionary and whole phrase/paragraph translator.

Usefulness: 7/10

Now, everyone loves Google Translate and I'm not going to talk too much shit about it, but the nature of the Chinese language (whether Mandarin or Cantonese, etc.) is that each character has multiple meanings. Google Translate only gives you one translation back. Did you know that 会can be pronounced as huì or kuài and can mean gather, able or accounting depending on context? Yeah, neither does Google Translate. Now, MDBG can fall prey to the same problems, but you can scroll down and see the multiple meanings for each character which can help you unravel the real meaning of what's trying to be said. They also include a lot of maxims and traditional phrases, so when you get asked about exploding their chrysanthemum, you'll know what's going on.

Beyond the dictionary and translation page, there are also ways to learn how to write the characters and a bunch of other stuff I don't bother much with.

It loses points because you have to be on a network to use it, but it's pretty fucking handy if you're completely at sea with Chinese.

For those of you with a little more experience and can handle some basic vocabulary and verbs, you'll probably want the next tool.

DianHua Dictionary, dictionary only, but offline, for the iPhone
Usefulness: 8/10

Really, really great app. Allows you to search in English, Pinyin or characters, displays Simplified (mainland) or Traditional (Taiwan and Hong Kong) characters as well as pinyin for each word, so you'll know how to say it. Pinyin is only for Mandarin, though, not Cantonese, though I'd say 95% of the WG here in Hong Kong speak Mandarin.

If you learn how to add the Chinese writing keyboard to your iPhone (or the Pinyin keyboard as I've found younger WGs don't know how to write characters very well), you can hand the phone over to them and let them communicate as they wish. Very handy.

This dictionary is great because it's offline and it's pretty comprehensive. Here's a screenshot:

Last, but not least:

Dirty Chinese, a book of mainland slang from watching movies to eating food and like eight different ways to say "I'm coming"
Usefulness: 10/10!

For those of you that can't speak any dialect, don't have an iPhone or a web ready phone, there's the good ol' reliable--books.

This books has the characters (Simplified), the Pinyin and the English translation or equivalent where appropriate. It's pretty comprehensive:

My name is Martin. Wo jiao Mading. 我叫马丁
I'm from Nebraska. Wo laizi Meiguo de Neibulasijia zhou. 我来自美国的内布拉斯加州
I've got a terminal illness. Wo shen huan juezheng le. 我身患绝症了
And I'm innocent of the ways of the world, I have never known a woman. 我没怎么见过世面,还没尝过奴人的味道

And on to more carnal matters:

Let's do some serious fucking. Women cao shuang yidian ba. 我们肏爽一点吧
Threesomes. 三匹。 Ass fucking. 爆菊花 (this is exploding the chrysanthemum as mentioned earlier). Cowgirl. 骑乘位.

And on and on. The authors had a great sense of humor and they've included fun classics like "it's not your fault you're ugly, but it is your fault that you're going outside and scaring everyone with your ugly face"

Last, but not least:

Chinese Classes at CUHK
Usefulness: 9/10

• $5400 per class
  • Speaking Mandarin gets you wider access to WGs and arguably better service (YMMV)
  • They still won't teach the things you'll learn in the book above
  • http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/clc/regular.htm

If you've got the time and the inclination, go native and learn the language. Twice a week for 2 hours each and you'll be surprised how quick you pick it up. It's not as hard as they want you to think it is.

That said, I'm still not to the point where I can understand street names in Mandarin yet. Curse you, Chinese PPS HGs!

Good luck and good punting. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help!

[ Last edited by  frontline at 24-8-2011 23:20 ]

Recent Ratings
Konsul   29-8-2011 00:13  Acceptance  +1   Thank you for the MDBG and DianHua links!
yazoo   26-8-2011 12:01  Karma  +1   Great resources! Thanks.
kaka (YaYa PaPaYa)
Godfather of Hole

UID 4484
Digest Posts 0
Credits 8232
Posts 4486
Karma 8093
Acceptance 2775
Reading Access 90
Registered 15-11-2007
Location China
Status Offline
Post at 26-8-2011 17:50  Profile P.M. 
Reply #1 frontline's post

For android users,
Can try <Hanping Chinese>, it's a pretty good english-chinese dictionary.

[ Last edited by  kaka at 26-8-2011 17:52 ]

Attachment: Your usergroup does not have permission to access attachments

JeSun
Kinky King

UID 11810
Digest Posts 0
Credits 1951
Posts 1548
Karma 1933
Acceptance 358
Reading Access 50
Registered 29-5-2008
Location San Francisco Bay Area
Status Offline
Post at 28-8-2011 19:06  Profile P.M. 
someone needs to write a book called "Dirty Cantonese".  Quite different than Dirty Mandarin.
bsnake
Carnal Conqueror

UID 42706
Digest Posts 0
Credits 348
Posts 362
Karma 348
Acceptance 1
Reading Access 30
Registered 7-4-2010
Status Offline
Post at 29-8-2011 04:20  Profile P.M. 
Google translate is pretty good.  The more you use it the better you get at it
mtmtmt61
Kinky King

UID 63179
Digest Posts 0
Credits 1446
Posts 456
Karma 1428
Acceptance 357
Reading Access 50
Registered 2-4-2011
Status Offline
Post at 29-8-2011 08:39  Profile P.M. 
Reply #2 kaka's post

I use Hanping as well. GREAT dictionary, especially for those that are verbally fluent but are somewhat lacking in reading/writing (such as myself). As long as I can get the pinyin to a word, I'm good to go.

MDBG is great as well, have been using that site for 5 years now. Both highly recommended.
bonkers89
Lustful Lord

UID 25160
Digest Posts 0
Credits 829
Posts 703
Karma 819
Acceptance 192
Reading Access 40
Registered 19-5-2009
Status Offline
Post at 2-9-2011 02:35  Profile P.M. 
for the iphone there is PLECO too.
InTime
Nookie Newbie

UID 81719
Digest Posts 0
Credits 0
Posts 17
Karma 0
Acceptance -1
Reading Access 10
Registered 31-12-2011
Location PH
Status Offline
Post at 2-1-2012 22:40  Profile P.M. 
Haha very informative. I like the Dirty Chinese one.
yyy111
Nookie Newbie

UID 79822
Digest Posts 0
Credits 75
Posts 30
Karma 75
Acceptance 5
Reading Access 10
Registered 28-11-2011
Status Offline
Post at 3-1-2012 01:15  Profile P.M. 
Thanks, I'll have to check some of these out.

I've mainly been using KTDict C-E on the iPhone as a general offline Chinese-English (and vice-versa) dictionary ...
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ktdict-c-e-chinese-english/id291179703?mt=8

The interface is fairly basic, but it does the job (like mentioned previously, you may need to learn how to input Chinese characters if you  intend to work in that direction)