Acceptance 0
Reading Access 10
Registered 17-6-2011
Status Offline
Post at 17-6-2011 16:51  Profile P.M. 
Font size: S M L
Is the iPad for me? What do you think?

Is the iPad for me? What do you think?
Ipad= lighter, and more portable. Ipad+dock+bluetooth keyboard= Desktop computer. Sound good? I mainly need it for just web surfing. I would download a bunch of games to it. I also would type essays on it using the bluetooth keyboard.

-----------------------------

ipad 2 stand   ipad 2 wireless keyboard ipad 2 keyboard case

[ Last edited by  Simmelink at 17-6-2011 16:56 ]
PVGoober
Kinky King

UID 21252
Digest Posts 0
Credits 1715
Posts 534
Karma 1704
Acceptance 212
Reading Access 50
Registered 2-3-2009
Location HKG
Status Offline
Post at 17-6-2011 17:32  Profile P.M. 
Reply #1 Simmelink's post

I've got an iPad2 and a MacAir. They really satisfy different needs. The MacAir is much better when you have to type (like on this forum), the iPad better for reading. I also have the blue tooth keyboard but don't use it. With the keyboard attached the iPad is bigger than the MacAir. Maybe a little more info in what you will do with it.
mspitz
Nookie Newbie

UID 67555
Digest Posts 0
Credits 2
Posts 5
Karma 2
Acceptance -1
Reading Access 10
Registered 10-6-2011
Status Offline
Post at 18-6-2011 16:25  Profile P.M. 
Apple products are all the crazy, especially in brand aware Asia. I suggest looking at Android tablets, specifically the Galaxy Pad 10.1 and 8.9. Both are thinner, lighter, better screen and cheaper than the iPad2. You can think of Android vs Apple tablets as PC vs Mac. iPad is expensive but works well, Android is better value and you have a lot of options since big names like Samsung, LG, Motorola, HTC make the tablet hardware for it and competition is good.
shootingstar
Carnal Conqueror

UID 61057
Digest Posts 0
Credits 376
Posts 195
Karma 374
Acceptance 49
Reading Access 30
Registered 22-2-2011
Status Offline
Post at 19-6-2011 15:18  Profile P.M. 
personally if you are surfing the web and typing essay or anything i dont really think u need an ipad for that. a small netbook will do just fine. ipad is really just the inbetween a ipod functions with some netbook functions.  i think it is better to get a netbook.

depending on the person sometimes after getting it you may find yourself using it for a  while and then next thing you know its at home on your table collecting dust.
DArtagnan (unofficial Mayor of the Forum)
Master Mongerer

UID 12884
Digest Posts 0
Credits 5034
Posts 4392
Karma 4928
Acceptance 2111
Reading Access 80
Registered 10-7-2008
Location Pitcairn
Status Offline
Post at 20-6-2011 10:14  Profile P.M. 

Don't listen to the netbook crowd.  

I have an iPad and one thing sells it for me waaay above anything else out there:-

1.  10 hours battery life

And one thing sells it waaay above anything based on laptop technology:-

2.  Instant on / instant off

... come to think of it, that pretty much describes my ideal partner in bed too

Personally I hate the Apple Empire, it's restrictive and exploitative and full of nonstandard code ... BUT I have to say Android is not yet fully mature for tablets unless you're a geek who loves to handle bugs.  The iPad platform is stable, and very usable, as long as you can tolerate the rules and restrictions SJ imposes on everyone, and don't mind paying top dollar for Apps.  

So if you need a device now, yes, get the iPad.  
If you can wait until Xmas, my answer will probably have changed by then - I'm looking closely at the ViewPad for example - but today I'm still buying iPads.

FYI I am even able to touch-type on the touch-screen keyboard, but choose not to use it for anything longer than casual e-mail replies or chat messages.  So no need the keyboard, just get a well-designed carrying case that holds it at a good angle.  The standard Apple case for iPad is trashy but there are great alternatives at the same price or even less.

Hear Ye!  The Mayor has spoken!
rockypop
Lustful Lord

UID 11671
Digest Posts 0
Credits 595
Posts 709
Karma 594
Acceptance 25
Reading Access 40
Registered 25-5-2008
Status Offline
Post at 20-6-2011 12:24  Profile P.M. 
ipad2 can go up to 11 hours on some reviews.
definitely for what you are asking to do, the ipad2 is much more sufficient and mobile to have around.
JeSun
Kinky King

UID 11810
Digest Posts 0
Credits 1951
Posts 1548
Karma 1933
Acceptance 358
Reading Access 50
Registered 29-5-2008
Location San Francisco Bay Area
Status Offline
Post at 23-6-2011 01:08  Profile P.M. 

the downside to the iPad is that you can't do any heavy-duty inputting at all.  Maybe word processing and email, but certainly nothing like doing programming, or spreadsheets or graphic design.  Also, Flash sites still do not work/will never work, though many of the sites now have their own iPad apps.  Plus you can use Skyfire instead of Safari.  Having said all that, iPad is great for games, most types of surfing, and for little things like GPS.
krumpkrump
Nookie Newbie

UID 26066
Digest Posts 0
Credits 35
Posts 58
Karma 33
Acceptance 38
Reading Access 10
Registered 9-6-2009
Status Offline
Post at 24-6-2011 01:24  Profile P.M. 
One of the biggest downfalls of the ipad is the lack of flash software. Also, the camera is not as great as you think. check out the youtube videos and you'll see the quality i'm talking about. I would just wait for the iPad 3 to come out in the near future. Prices seen to be dropping as Apple may be preparing for a new product line
part01
Nookie Newbie

UID 69735
Digest Posts 0
Credits 3
Posts 28
Karma 3
Acceptance 0
Reading Access 10
Registered 13-7-2011
Status Offline
Post at 16-7-2011 07:40  Profile P.M.