DArtagnan (unofficial Mayor of the Forum)
Master Mongerer

UID 12884
Digest Posts 0
Credits 5034
Posts 4392
Karma 4928
Acceptance 2111
Reading Access 80
Registered 10-7-2008
Location Pitcairn
Status Offline
Post at 21-4-2011 09:24  Profile P.M. 
Font size: S M L

QUOTE:
Originally posted by SEAJ at 20-4-2011 16:06
investing is a zero sum game ...

Oh come off it!!! ... sounds like you're using some sort of arcane redefinition of the mathematical term ...

A zero sum game is when you have to TAKE AWAY from another person the ENTIRE amount that you gain.  Literally  <Net change for A> + <Net change for B> = 0
Literally a "Zero sum".

TRADING is a zero sum game of course ... but INVESTING is not a zero sum game.   Investing is where
<Net change for A> + <Net change for B> > 0
That's NOT to say everyone gains equally, nor even to say that every one gains in the first place - there can be (and are) still winners and losers.

And on getting advice?  
Forgive me, it really did sound to me like you thought the guidance of investment professionals is more valuable than the opinion of the members here ... which I still disagree about!!!    I think there ARE people here who can give a more useful guidance than the guidance I hear from the pros.  

Hope I'm not being rude to anyone - just my views ... hope that means I get fewer cold-calls from people trying to get me to put my money into their new offshore Hedge Fund ...

Hear Ye!  The Mayor has spoken!
SEAJ (***Call me Sean Sweet Swede***)
Banned

UID 21354
Digest Posts 0
Credits 7732
Posts 7074
Karma 7559
Acceptance 3458
Reading Access 0
Registered 4-3-2009
Location Hong Kong
Status Offline
Post at 21-4-2011 11:38  Profile P.M. 
OK - lets get back to basics.

In all the years I've been investing, speculating, gambling or even taking a chance, I've only been successful when I follow the oldest "Mantra" on the books.  

Cut your losses and let your profits run.

Markets, prices, value etc have discernible "trends" which goes on for quite long periods of RELATIVE time i.e. for days if you're looking at the market every couple or so days, for hours if you're day trading etc.

Get on the hopefully correct side by examining the fundamentals of the particular stock/commodity/whatever (to the best of your OWN ability, knowledge, experience etc - and do NOT rely on other's tips, usually biased opinions, suggestions on sex boards etc), put on your Stop losses (which needs to be continuously re-set/trail re-examined) and sit back and relax.  You'll eventually get stop lost - which hopefully will occur at much higher prices (If long) - thus only getting out when the market has well and truly turned.

Follow the above religiously and without fear or worry - and if you can make one $10 profit for 3, 4 or even more $1 losses along the way - you'll be ahead.

And YES - do NOT stare at the monitor all day long - let the stop losses do its own work and relax!

Just my own way of doing things

SEAJ

Recent Ratings
chelu   21-4-2011 15:04  Acceptance  +1   I just go to work for my money :-)
DArtagnan   21-4-2011 13:26  Acceptance  +3   Makes a lot of sense

NEED TO RANT? GOT QUESTIONS? JUST WANNA CHIT-CHAT? LOOK AT PIXS? Go to:
http://forum.sex141.com/eforum/v ... d=26766&page=97

A NEWBIE AND HAVE QUESTIONS? WANT IDEAS ON HOW TO ENJOY 141 BEST? Go to
http://forum.sex141.com/eforum/v ... amp;extra=page%3D1=
DArtagnan (unofficial Mayor of the Forum)
Master Mongerer

UID 12884
Digest Posts 0
Credits 5034
Posts 4392
Karma 4928
Acceptance 2111
Reading Access 80
Registered 10-7-2008
Location Pitcairn
Status Offline
Post at 21-4-2011 13:27  Profile P.M. 
Reply #42 SEAJ's post

Who said you couldn't get good advice on a punters forum??  

... anyway all that is still a long way away from your house being your biggest investment!!!

Hear Ye!  The Mayor has spoken!
SEAJ (***Call me Sean Sweet Swede***)
Banned

UID 21354
Digest Posts 0
Credits 7732
Posts 7074
Karma 7559
Acceptance 3458
Reading Access 0
Registered 4-3-2009
Location Hong Kong
Status Offline
Post at 21-4-2011 18:57  Profile P.M. 
Reply #43 DArtagnan's post

Irrefutable FACT - one's dwelling represents MOST individual's one SINGLE, MOST expensive purchase in his life time.

NOT investment, NOT series of purchases or commitment...ONE SINGLE PURCHASE!!

Agree?  Yes?
And if no....omigawd....I GIVE UP!

seaj

[ Last edited by  SEAJ at 21-4-2011 18:59 ]

Recent Ratings
DArtagnan   22-4-2011 23:02  Acceptance  +1   Give up? Not SEAJ!!!

NEED TO RANT? GOT QUESTIONS? JUST WANNA CHIT-CHAT? LOOK AT PIXS? Go to:
http://forum.sex141.com/eforum/v ... d=26766&page=97

A NEWBIE AND HAVE QUESTIONS? WANT IDEAS ON HOW TO ENJOY 141 BEST? Go to
http://forum.sex141.com/eforum/v ... amp;extra=page%3D1=
sirtiger (the banana)
Erotic Emperor

UID 3407
Digest Posts 0
Credits 2609
Posts 2588
Karma 2586
Acceptance 465
Reading Access 60
Registered 27-9-2007
Location other side of the planet
Status Offline
Post at 21-4-2011 20:55  Profile P.M. 
Reply #44 SEAJ's post

I swear sometimes I think a wife is the most expensive purchase in his lifetime....tho in another thread, some arugued a WG is more expensive but I see WG as a depreciable asset (using FIFO accounting method) . There are some studies done that marriages increases wealth compares to being single which supports this statement.
wasabi
Nookie Newbie

UID 20590
Digest Posts 0
Credits 41
Posts 45
Karma 41
Acceptance 9
Reading Access 10
Registered 18-2-2009
Location london
Status Offline
Post at 22-4-2011 01:08  Profile P.M. 
I bought a place in HK (Yuen Long) a couple of years back for HK$1,060,000.
If I recall, it was an 11 year old place and it's tiny, maybe 420-440 sq feet.
The stupidly good exchange rate at the time made it around £65,000

Within four weeks it was re-valued at HK$1,200,000.

Not sure what it's valued at now but I can be certain that I won't be able to buy anything like it for £65,000 again.

I bought it purely so I could have somewhere of my own whenever I'm in HK.
It wasn't for investment which is where a lot of potential problems come from because of the speculative nature of it.
Buy what you need at what you can afford and don't look for it as an investment.
issue151
Carnal Conqueror

UID 16237
Digest Posts 0
Credits 375
Posts 336
Karma 373
Acceptance 32
Reading Access 30
Registered 25-11-2008
Status Offline
Post at 22-4-2011 01:54  Profile P.M. 
Reply #46 wasabi's post

Can I ask what maintenance costs one needs to consider.  In UK, flats/apartments normally incur a yearly maintenance charge for upkeep to communal areas etc.
wasabi
Nookie Newbie

UID 20590
Digest Posts 0
Credits 41
Posts 45
Karma 41
Acceptance 9
Reading Access 10
Registered 18-2-2009
Location london
Status Offline
Post at 22-4-2011 03:14  Profile P.M. 
My maintance bill isn't that much.
Can't remember off the top of my had cos I autopay it so I never have to think about it.
Gut says it's around  HK$650 a month.
Because I'm only ever there maybe 2 months a year I've not had to pay for water yet.
Gas and electric is minimal and that is with a fridge freezer left on all year around.
Again, can't remember what my gov rates are but it isn't that much, especially compared to my UK council tax.
sirtiger (the banana)
Erotic Emperor

UID 3407
Digest Posts 0
Credits 2609
Posts 2588
Karma 2586
Acceptance 465
Reading Access 60
Registered 27-9-2007
Location other side of the planet
Status Offline
Post at 22-4-2011 03:46  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by wasabi at 21-4-2011 12:08 PM
Within four weeks it was re-valued at HK$1,200,000.

Not sure what it's valued at now but I can be certain that I won't be able to buy anything like it for £65,000 again.

Not to rain on your parade, but NEVER trust valuation until the cash in your hands.  Some of these people overvalue for marketing purpose, push you to list with them to sell your place (they promise you the world!), encouraging to take more loans, etc etc.  I may personally trust comparables a little but that has to be noted with caution as well.
leeyoh
Carnal Conqueror

UID 16883
Digest Posts 0
Credits 251
Posts 256
Karma 250
Acceptance 22
Reading Access 30
Registered 5-12-2008
Status Offline
Post at 22-4-2011 09:11  Profile P.M. 
Reply #46 wasabi's post

how far from the west rail line you are?
wasabi
Nookie Newbie

UID 20590
Digest Posts 0
Credits 41
Posts 45
Karma 41
Acceptance 9
Reading Access 10
Registered 18-2-2009
Location london
Status Offline
Post at 22-4-2011 20:39  Profile P.M. 
well, like i said, it wasn't bought as an investment and I mentioned the valuation as a sort of sidenote for those interested in it on a investment pov. By the way, I'm an architect and developer so I know all about this sort of thing.

What was on my side here was the exchange rate that was pretty much $17 to £1. That's a good 40-50c more than it is normally and made buying decisions for a flat, furniture and electronic goods very easy that year. Didn't like having to find tradesmen not in my stomping ground and not entirely happy with some of the work done but well, it was cheap...

The flat is maybe a 10 minute walk from Yoho and maybe 5 minutes behind Hang Heung.
It's not a new building and maybe 12 years old when I bought it which is part of the reason the the low price but hell, walking distance to transport matters more because it is essentially a holiday home for me. I have a friend that's bought a flat in the development on Ma Tin Road, opposite the Korean BBQ place (can't remember the name) and that's pretty nice but a bit far. Not sure how much though. She also has a place in a new village in Tai Tong. Not been there but she gets a minibus to get there so not quite the same n terms of convenience.