Acceptance 15
Reading Access 20
Registered 16-7-2010
Location HKG/SFO/LHR
Status Offline
Post at 21-10-2010 14:09  Profile P.M. 
Font size: S M L
My Experience around Wan Chai Bars

I originally posted this as a response to the thread "Warning for Wanchai bar punter" as well as seeing other posts about Wan Chai and thought I would give you guys a heads up about what I observed there.

In regards to Wan Chai bars. I was in Hong Kong last month and stayed in Wan Chai for a couple of nights. I was walking down Lockhart Road which is parallel to Hennessy Road one evening around 6pm. I found this area to be kinda of seedy (just in comparison to other areas of Hong Kong) but I was very safe, nonetheless. I walked down Lockhart Rd toward the Wan Chai MTR as if I were coming from the Admiralty MTR station to give you some perspective on the direction I was heading. Once I got to Luard Rd I came to a bunch of bars. Once you pass Luard Rd you will start seeing a lot of bars with girls around. You will see signs for the "Makati Pub & Disco" and the "Waikiki" on the opposite side of the street. (I hope this helps as far as what the area looks like. I took it from google maps and it is the direction I was heading: http://maps.google.com.hk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=22.278117,114.17174&spn=0.001832,0.003482&t=h&z=19&brcurrent=3,0x3404005b7e61fe79:0x242571e635c3d8ee,1,0x3404004c435d4ad9:0x6e0e524894ae1a66&layer=c&cbll=22.278123,114.171668&panoid=j4cxMv60i0GZVu_NqcAftA&cbp=12,90.51,,0,5.97. If this link doesn't work, try typing in Luard Road, Wan Chai into google maps and follow it to where it meets Lockhart Road). The bars I encountered are on the opposite side of the street of the Makati. I encountered four different bars right around this area, almost one directly after another.

The first bar had about 6 or 7 girls sitting outside in chairs. These girls spoke to me but never left their chairs. There was a middle aged woman, however, who came right up to me and tried to get me to come in to the bar. She told me that all she wanted was for me to go in and buy one beer for $20HK and talk to one of the girls. I said no and continued down the street.

The next two bars I passed also had middle aged women standing outside but didn't have girls in plain sight and the middle aged women also tried to get me to come in.

It was the fourth bar that almost got me to go inside. The middle aged woman actually walked out in front of me and blocked my path. Then she tried every which way to get me to come in. Here's where I could see a problem. She walked up to me and put her arm through mine making it a little more difficult to walk away, without me being a complete dick and either forcing her off me or being rude to her and telling her to get off me. She said that she needed me to give her "face" and come into the bar and whispered to me that her boss was watching her and if I didn't come in she would get in trouble. I didn't buy that, but you never know. She proceeded to tell me that it was very safe inside and that I should go in and have just one beer, again only costing $20HK. I said no thank you, but she was quite persistent. She then said "just look inside" which I didn't really want to do but decided to do just to try to get her to let me leave. One thing I need to mention is that these bars have very thick curtains covering the entrance so you can't see inside from the street. I reluctantly poked my head in and I don't think there were too many people in the very dimly lit bar because I immediately fixated on the only guy I saw sitting at the bar. He was barely sitting on a bar stool, with his back to the bar, with at least two, possibly three girls all over him. When I saw he was barely sitting on the bar stool it really looked as though he was being propped up by the girls. He looked incredibly drunk (or drugged). His head was down so much that his chin looked as though it was touching his chest. I just got a bad feeling about this place.   For the first time in Hong Kong I had that feeling that if I went in I wasn't coming out with my wallet. I pulled my head out and as I started to say to the woman that I was not interested, two girls came out through the curtain (from where in the bar, I have no idea) and stood there looking at me. Neither of them said a word. I was finally able to leave by telling the older woman that I needed to eat dinner first and then I would come back. I never went back!!!

This could just be me being naive but I wanted to let you all know about my experience so if you do decide to go to these bars you'll know what you could possibly encounter. Just trying to give you a heads up. These bars could very well be safe but I just didn't feel comfortable walking in. I apologize that I didn't get the name of any of these bars. Sorry guys, the best I could do was give the specific area where these bars are located. One other thing to mention is that all of the girls that I saw in this area looked either Thai, Vietnamese or Filipino. (Personally, my preference is Chinese girls, but if you are looking for Thai or Filipino girls then this area might be a good place for you). Also all of the girls that I saw had way too much make-up on. They looked nothing like the girls in the 141 pages.

I was more interested WG's that were in apartments that I could walk to, not the girls in bars so I was taken aback by all of this. I am not judging, but for me I was not interested in the bars, especially after seeing the guy in the last bar.

If this is your scene then I recommend staying at the Empire Hotel in Wan Chai, because it is very close to these bars and actually one night the guy in the room next to me had a very, very loud WG (hopefully ) at 1am. Here was the great thing. I could not hear them from inside my room at all and I shared a wall with them. I could only hear them if when I was in the hall, and I don't think one person complained about her loud sex screams by the way. And another thing. The hotel staff doesn't care at all as far as I could tell. I think this would be a good hotel if you are interested in the Wanchai bar area.

For a more in-depth review of WC bars I suggest reading "Hit and Miss at the WC bars" posted by kaleu in "Hong Kong Reports"

Recent Ratings
SEAJ   21-10-2010 17:55  Karma  +4   It's really not all THAT bad in Hkg!
SEAJ (***Call me Sean Sweet Swede***)
Banned

UID 21354
Digest Posts 0
Credits 7732
Posts 7074
Karma 7559
Acceptance 3458
Reading Access 0
Registered 4-3-2009
Location Hong Kong
Status Offline
Post at 21-10-2010 18:01  Profile P.M. 
Reply #1 krm422's post

Thanks for posting this up on a sepoarate thread - as otherwise  your original post.would have gotten buried amongst all the other things on that thread.

In regards to your observation aboiut the velvet curtain bars - yes, they're bad and would have tried - hard  - to get you to buy the expensive gilrie drinks and probably even stuff the bill up.

And yes, there WERE cases a few years back about punters getting drugged and robbed - but such things gets quickly put to a stop not only by the HK Police - but also by the operators of these Wanchai bars themsevles.  After all, such things happening is bad for their business and on top of that, such criminality is NOT anything they themselves get to benefit from..

So perhaps your spidey sense tingling a bit too much IMHO.

Hong Kong is a safe place and there is not that much crime considering how packed the place is.

Just my POV

SEAJ

[ Last edited by  SEAJ at 21-10-2010 18:03 ]
TonyToro
Throbbing Titan

UID 37475
Digest Posts 0
Credits 4498
Posts 2853
Karma 4389
Acceptance 2182
Reading Access 70
Registered 7-1-2010
Status Offline
Post at 24-10-2010 21:45  Profile P.M. 
For more info on Bars in HK...

Bro, the bars your refer to are definitely ones to keep away from. No question. They are quite safe in terms of your "personal" safety. I occasionally hear of problems but that can be said of any bar. These "Girlie Velvet Curtain Bars" on Lockhart Rd are quite safe as is HK generally.

The "danger" with these bars is that unsuspecting Bros can get caught paying crazy high prices for "lady drinks".

Suggest you read the Bar guide located at the top of the CHAT section. Sorry I cant post a link because I'm in China and the proxy I'm using wont let me.

Post #1 gives you some info on bars worth having a look at.

Posts #4 & #5 gives you some info regarding how best to punt in these bars.

Post #5 at the very bottom explains the scam in the bars you refer to in this post.

Good luck!

[ Last edited by  TonyToro at 24-10-2010 21:52 ]
Thai-delight
Fucking Legend

UID 24922
Digest Posts 0
Credits 11504
Posts 7975
Karma 11133
Acceptance 7410
Reading Access 100
Registered 13-5-2009
Location hong kong
Status Offline
Post at 25-10-2010 00:02  Profile P.M. 
Reply #3 TonyToro's post

Yes, just stick to the bars in your thread in you should be alright (those velvet curtain bars just milk you for money)... but you still need to be super careful with some of the girlie drinks in neptunes 2, laguna etc, as some are over a hundred dollars.
gwailoplayer
Erotic Emperor

UID 624
Digest Posts 0
Credits 2265
Posts 990
Karma 2195
Acceptance 1397
Reading Access 60
Registered 19-3-2007
Status Offline
Post at 25-10-2010 20:19  Profile P.M. 
Don't worry about being rude to those aggressive women who block your way on the sidewalk. when they block my way I keep on walking and bump into them, hard. They remember your face and next time you walk by they move out of the way.

Those places are a waste of time and money anyway. Better talent following the leads given this forum.
reggid
Lustful Lord

UID 36262
Digest Posts 0
Credits 714
Posts 509
Karma 710
Acceptance 87
Reading Access 40
Registered 17-12-2009
Location Sydney
Status Offline
Post at 26-10-2010 14:58  Profile P.M. 
If you are cashed up and know how these places work these sorts of bars are not like people make out. They are a little more discreet and often have younger gals the the other bars. It has always been explained to me the price of a drink and the way things work and yes the drinks are expensive if you buy them for a girl so its not the kind of place you go to for a chit chat. Never had any trouble with them. Also with slow business sometimes there are ok deals.

[ Last edited by  reggid at 26-10-2010 14:59 ]
TonyToro
Throbbing Titan

UID 37475
Digest Posts 0
Credits 4498
Posts 2853
Karma 4389
Acceptance 2182
Reading Access 70
Registered 7-1-2010
Status Offline
Post at 26-10-2010 22:42  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by reggid at 26-10-2010 14:58
If you are cashed up and know how these places work these sorts of bars are not like people make out.

Bro, I think these bars are very bad value. For the money you can spend in a few hours at one of these bars, you can get more service with a girl just as pretty for a fraction of the price elsewhere. I agree that as long as you know the deal going in you can make your own mind up... fair point. However you need to add to that statement the fact that you will come under massive pressure to buy lady drinks and lots of them. If you don't buy drinks you will be made to feel unwelcome in a hurry. In my opinion, there are much better ways to spend your money no matter how cashed up you are.
Donth8
Nookie Newbie

UID 54269
Digest Posts 0
Credits 8
Posts 8
Karma 8
Acceptance -1
Reading Access 10
Registered 27-10-2010
Status Offline
Post at 28-10-2010 02:39  Profile P.M. 
thanks for the good good, i would love to go back to hong kong just to experience how it is
slyfoxsing
Nookie Newbie

UID 27854
Digest Posts 0
Credits 28
Posts 9
Karma 28
Acceptance 0
Reading Access 10
Registered 17-7-2009
Status Offline
Post at 16-11-2010 02:26  Profile P.M. 
Am in HK till friday, I always wanted to go into those bar when i visited HK last year but was too timid to try, anyway was feeling horny yesterday nite and went into on of this 'lady-bar' ...well that is what the aunty with specs told me when i happily step into one of them

I knew I will not get cheap Sex when dealing with shot-girls, but since I am in HK, so I give it a try.  

I have visited many pubs in Singapore with pinoys and so I like to see what is the difference between the HK and Sing joint.

The drink is HK20 which is a bit more ex than Sing (which cost $5)
Next is the lady drink , which ranges from 150HK to 336..or something.

The pinoys looks better than those in Singapore, appreantly the joint did some QC when selecting them. They all wear bra n tongs while dancing on the 'stage'. a few of them will be standing by to pester you to buy the lady drink. Since I have much experience in Sing, I try to resist to buy the lady drink as long as possible...(eventually you will still need to buy 1-2 to show good gesture ) , I did not enjoy the rubbing of boobs and buds but end up talking with the chatty aunty owner... I share experience with her about the pubs in Singapore and some info on how the girls working in Singapore differ from those she hired. Anyway, when it was near to the closing time of the pub (which was arond 2.30am for sunday) She asked me if I would like to try her girls, I asked her how much, and she said $1500HK for 1 hr slot...which is a wooping $250 Sing dollars..with that money, you can get overnite fun in paramount or orchard towers. Thus I say no way I gonna pay for that and I told her pinoy is the same no matter they are in Singapore, HK or phillipine, but she keep on hardselling her girls and told me that they are different and has skills etc etc... after much hard selling, she said to give me a discount of 100 and making it $1400.

Since she is so persistance and I was quite fond of one young looking pinoy (which turn out to be really young..19yrs old ) I agreed to the price and so me and the young gal get to go to my hotel for some expensive fun. Anyway I will not talk much of the fun thingy, actually I was right about the pinoy is the same part... oh well...when dicky start thinking...you do stupid thing.   

So to all the newbie outhere like me, at least one good thing about the HK pub that the chicks has a price tag, and you need to spend a lot on lady drink so that you can get them out to F... (in Singapore, some shot-girls after ripping u off with loads of taquilla, they will butterfly away to their 'boyfriend' ).

PS. To the regular, is the $1500HK tag market price?
Thks

Recent Ratings
kaleu   16-11-2010 06:48  Acceptance  -1   Repetition
kaleu
Throbbing Titan

UID 45445
Digest Posts 0
Credits 3308
Posts 1512
Karma 3224
Acceptance 1672
Reading Access 70
Registered 24-5-2010
Location PRC
Status Offline
Post at 16-11-2010 06:51  Profile P.M. 
Reply #9 slyfoxsing's post

Hey Slyfoxsing.  Please do not cut and paste your reports in different places.  I know you wrote it here first and then decided to give it it's own thread, but it's bad form around here to do that.  You can always use the MY TOPICS link at the top of any page and then MY REPLIES to find your old posts (as you said you couldn't find it in your other thread).
TonyToro
Throbbing Titan

UID 37475
Digest Posts 0
Credits 4498
Posts 2853
Karma 4389
Acceptance 2182
Reading Access 70
Registered 7-1-2010
Status Offline
Post at 16-11-2010 13:47  Profile P.M. 
Slyfoxsing, you went to the wrong bars Bro. The link below has more info that will help you, especially posts 1, 4 & 5.

CLICK HERE.
reggid
Lustful Lord

UID 36262
Digest Posts 0
Credits 714
Posts 509
Karma 710
Acceptance 87
Reading Access 40
Registered 17-12-2009
Location Sydney
Status Offline
Post at 16-11-2010 16:18  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by slyfoxsing at 16-11-2010 02:26
Am in HK till friday, I always wanted to go into those bar when i visited HK last year but was too timid to try, anyway was feeling horny yesterday nite and went into on of this 'lady-bar' ...well tha ...

put it this way you can't even get a JG HG and most KG HG for 45min for that money and service is often mamahuhu. Price is reasonable considering you can see before you buy and there are some real lookers around. I think you are better off LT because in my experience it has been slightly less than double the ST price.

The thing to watch out for is buying the girls drinks, don't ever buy more than one girl a drink once you have seen something you want. If you're lucky and its is reasonably busy you wont get hassled to buy the mama and co drinks

[ Last edited by  reggid at 16-11-2010 16:20 ]
slyfoxsing
Nookie Newbie

UID 27854
Digest Posts 0
Credits 28
Posts 9
Karma 28
Acceptance 0
Reading Access 10
Registered 17-7-2009
Status Offline
Post at 17-11-2010 19:32  Profile P.M. 
wow....should have read the post earlier b4 i set out on the road.
Some one should put it in the newbie session as a permanant guide.

Kudo to TonyToro. The force is very strong in you jedi master.

Me padawan needs to learn more.