Subject: Why are there no Chinese maids/helpers in HK?
  This thread has been closed by sexyloser at 18-5-2024 08:47. 
SEAJ (***Call me Sean Sweet Swede***)
Banned

UID 21354
Digest Posts 0
Credits 7732
Posts 7074
Karma 7559
Acceptance 3458
Reading Access 0
Registered 4-3-2009
Location Hong Kong
Status Offline
Post at 26-8-2010 15:16  Profile P.M. 
Font size: S M L
Actually.....

If I recall correctly, the main reason for the restrictions against PRC's working as domestic helpers is that the Hong Kong Government/Immigration department is very wary that a lot of "separated" families i.e those with members both in China and in Hong Kong - will use such a method as a ploy to re-unify their family.

I remember a few years back that there was quite a discussion on this and the Hong Kong government made a very hard stance AGAINST allowing such PRC domestic employment as there is just too many families here who would like to be re-unified with their loved ones stuck in China (by employing them as PRC amah and thus side-stepping the proper/legal method).  

The Hong Kong immigration laws have a legal and proper channel to facilitate such re-unification - and the official stance is that they are NOT gonna allow any loopholes/other methods to effect such a family re-unification.

Just what I remember

SEAJ

[ Last edited by  SEAJ at 26-8-2010 15:19 ]

Recent Ratings
DArtagnan   27-8-2010 13:46  Acceptance  +1   explains a lot
asianman888   27-8-2010 00:49  Acceptance  +1   Thanks!
SkinnyForum   26-8-2010 21:03  Acceptance  +1   I'm learning from this.
twiceAweek   26-8-2010 15:22  Acceptance  +1   That is correct and one of the reasons
kingsley333
Nookie Newbie

UID 50746
Digest Posts 0
Credits 11
Posts 12
Karma 11
Acceptance -1
Reading Access 10
Registered 28-8-2010
Status Offline
Post at 28-8-2010 04:23  Profile P.M. 
you must hire a chinese helper with working permit in hong kong,otherwise you already break the law,
DArtagnan (unofficial Mayor of the Forum)
Master Mongerer

UID 12884
Digest Posts 0
Credits 5034
Posts 4392
Karma 4928
Acceptance 2111
Reading Access 80
Registered 10-7-2008
Location Pitcairn
Status Offline
Post at 29-8-2010 09:13  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by kingsley333 at 28-8-2010 04:23
you must hire a chinese helper with working permit in hong kong,otherwise you already break the law,

Idiot: ALL overseas workers need a work permit, not just chinese helpers.  

The original question was why do Phils and Indos account for 70-80% of the DH workforce, when PRC ladies are just as affordable and hardworking, with the advantage they also speak Chinese.

Hear Ye!  The Mayor has spoken!
Jakpot
Carnal Conqueror

UID 40597
Digest Posts 0
Credits 395
Posts 343
Karma 394
Acceptance 19
Reading Access 30
Registered 1-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 29-8-2010 11:15  Profile P.M. 
Reply #6 JeSun's post

what you saw is a fact in Australia..

there are so many Mainlanders here in OZ its not funny (not to mention Indians as well)

i can say that majority of apartments in the city of Melbourne is flooded by Mainlanders (students, etc)

as for services - most small businesses here in OZ is slowly beening taken over by 'asians' (more chinese people now) most out for PR or Citizenship in OZ, therefore the quality of service you get is going down hill..

Taxi drivers are getting taken over by Indians, Sir lankans, Muslims etc and half of them don't know one direction to the next or will try to rip you off going the long way (not to mention the language barrier of some of them)

OZ is no longer a safe place to live in or a free place.... so sad

p.s If I have offeneded anyone I apologise as I'am not racists or mean to be...

[ Last edited by  Jakpot at 29-8-2010 11:17 ]
SEAJ (***Call me Sean Sweet Swede***)
Banned

UID 21354
Digest Posts 0
Credits 7732
Posts 7074
Karma 7559
Acceptance 3458
Reading Access 0
Registered 4-3-2009
Location Hong Kong
Status Offline
Post at 29-8-2010 13:54  Profile P.M. 
Reply #24 Jakpot's post

Sorry - but you do sound racist.

What you've got to understand - and hopefully accept - is that immigration is a fact of modern life. Even for you Australians, I'd say most (except the aborigines) are emigrants.  Yes, you've "acclimatized" but it took you generations to do so.

And to take a "broad paint strokie" as you've done is a disservice to your own ethos as a human being.

OK - did you know that Australia has got the toughest immigration laws in the world?  
Even for tourist visas, there is a full body check up requirement?  
Including a full rectal exam?

You didn't know...???!!!

Really...???!!

Well, your immigration department wants to make sure that they'd only allow in perfect assholes into the land down-under!!  

OUCH.... sorry.... had to write that...don't get mad....!!

SEAJ

Recent Ratings
rwjs60   30-8-2010 06:38  Acceptance  +2   Totally agree.
JeSun
Kinky King

UID 11810
Digest Posts 0
Credits 1951
Posts 1548
Karma 1933
Acceptance 358
Reading Access 50
Registered 29-5-2008
Location San Francisco Bay Area
Status Offline
Post at 30-8-2010 16:57  Profile P.M. 
Reply #24 Jakpot's post

well, the mainlanders may be aplenty, but that doesn't mean bad things.  In the US, there's a big anti-immgrant sentiment with Hispanics especially in the state of Arizona, but if you think about it, where would all the services workers come from?   Certainly not from the African-American population, which from my short time in Australia the aborigines have a similar reputation.

Overall, the people in Australia were very nice, but there were two exceptions - one lady who got pissed at me because I was sniffling while she was eating (I have fairly major allergies especially in the mornings) and I basically told her to take a hike since she could have always moved to a different table (plus this is the first time anyone has ever complained to me about this topic in my whole life).  The other being a fucking biker who stopped me to tell me I was walking in the wrong direction on the Market Street bridge going over the Western Freeway, even though there was plenty of room to simply go around me.  Both assholes, both speaking that stuck-up Oz English shit that we Americans have no fucking clue what is being said.  I bring this up because Chinese and South Asian people may be different, but almost never will there be crimes coming out of these groups and all of them are hard workers trying to make an honest buck.  And obviously won't be stuck up.
JeSun
Kinky King

UID 11810
Digest Posts 0
Credits 1951
Posts 1548
Karma 1933
Acceptance 358
Reading Access 50
Registered 29-5-2008
Location San Francisco Bay Area
Status Offline
Post at 30-8-2010 17:04  Profile P.M. 
Reply #7 atomic3d's post

no couldn't sample - the SO and kid was with me every step of the way in Sydney.  In Melbourne I did have some free time to myself and saw some of the hookers walking around in St. Kilda (Gray Street?), but didn't have enough time (or guts) to start a negotiation process.  There was also a Thai massage place in Melbourne in the CBD on Bourke three doors down from the hotel apartment that I was staying at, but that place looked too legit.
Jakpot
Carnal Conqueror

UID 40597
Digest Posts 0
Credits 395
Posts 343
Karma 394
Acceptance 19
Reading Access 30
Registered 1-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 2-9-2010 18:50  Profile P.M. 
Reply #25 SEAJ's post

side note: last thing i wanna start is a debate/argument over race....

well SEA - lol dont' worry I ain't mad at ya I agree totally with you... however I didn't know 'all' of that and personally I don't give a damn regarding immigration policies that they do because they fuck it up anyway regardless of how careful they may be... and plus... I don't care how u slander 'Aussies' because I'm only a citizen of OZ (not that I choose to be one) and not Aussie myself.....

+ I agree totally with you - the original land owners/emigrants are the Aborigines and majority get treated like shit and I had my fair share of racist coments in my life..

my point that I should have got across is that I'm all for Immigration but if u are gona go to a different country to start a new life than try to intergrate... not live in 'ghettos'... and don't act the way you do in your own country (eg. running a business, customer servicer, every day things) because that ain't the way you do things in a new country...

I also believe no one likes 'f**ked up' people who pushes in line right???
Jakpot
Carnal Conqueror

UID 40597
Digest Posts 0
Credits 395
Posts 343
Karma 394
Acceptance 19
Reading Access 30
Registered 1-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 2-9-2010 18:56  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by JeSun at 30-8-2010 16:57
one lady who got pissed at me because I was sniffling while she was eating ...

lol that reminds me of the time when SARS was around.. I was in Asia somewhere I think HK or somewhere (after SARS had setttled down) I was at the lights waiting to cross and I had the urge to coth so I did and this lady just greased me like no tomorrow and walked away from me thinking I had sars or some shit that will infect her and kill her

anyway... to reply to you.. I'm all for skilled migrants and anyone who is wishing to start a new life in a new country but don't bring your attitude with you because you will make or break your business..

as for the aussie accent.. can't say much for the American accent, Irish, English or Kiwi accent.. each country has their own slang and will not understand the other unless explained too... but those d**kheads you met are just a few dicks - not many people will have a problem.. unless they are racists fuckers... (excuse the language) and trust me inside many people, they are racists whether they believe it or not... I experienced many...

[ Last edited by  Jakpot at 4-9-2010 09:27 ]
commandozx76
Nookie Newbie

UID 49183
Digest Posts 0
Credits 4
Posts 7
Karma 4
Acceptance -1
Reading Access 10
Registered 1-8-2010
Status Offline
Post at 2-9-2010 21:06  Profile P.M. 
i tink china is too rich ....lol.
rockypop
Lustful Lord

UID 11671
Digest Posts 0
Credits 595
Posts 709
Karma 594
Acceptance 25
Reading Access 40
Registered 25-5-2008
Status Offline
Post at 3-9-2010 13:26  Profile P.M. 
i would also think the filipino maids would have an issue with this as well, since they dominate the industry - they are pretty hard working compared to the chinese mainlanders it seems
DArtagnan (unofficial Mayor of the Forum)
Master Mongerer

UID 12884
Digest Posts 0
Credits 5034
Posts 4392
Karma 4928
Acceptance 2111
Reading Access 80
Registered 10-7-2008
Location Pitcairn
Status Offline
Post at 3-9-2010 17:39  Profile P.M. 
Reply #31 rockypop's post

... interesting point of view ... although there are exceptions, in my own observation mainland Chinese generally tend to be much harder working than Filipinos or Filipinas.  

A few years ago, when the Indonesians started arriving in large numbers, they were popular precisely because they quickly got the reputation of being harder working and more flexible than many of the Flippies.

Hear Ye!  The Mayor has spoken!