Subject: Anyone has tried the Google Nexus phone? _ Is it better than blackberry ?
  This thread has been closed by sexyloser at 18-5-2024 11:00. 
southstar
Musky Member

UID 4768
Digest Posts 0
Credits 175
Posts 125
Karma 170
Acceptance 102
Reading Access 20
Registered 19-11-2007
Status Offline
Post at 31-12-2011 01:11  Profile P.M. 
Font size: S M L
Anyone has tried the Google Nexus phone? _ Is it better than blackberry ?

I use G mail a lot and also travel a fair bit. I am thinking of getting the Nexus phone, now available in Hong Kong. Anyone here has hands on experience?

Recent Ratings
Jimstevens   3-1-2012 05:58  Karma  +1   Favorable
Jimstevens
Carnal Conqueror

UID 70931
Digest Posts 0
Credits 418
Posts 181
Karma 416
Acceptance 47
Reading Access 30
Registered 29-7-2011
Status Offline
Post at 3-1-2012 05:59  Profile P.M. 
Droid phones are Waaaaaaay better than BB IMHO.  My favorite is Droid 2/3 Global.  You get both GSM and CDMA plus all that Android has to offer.  Anyhow with the way RIM is heading, they are losing market share and may even go under one of these days.
maverick16
Carnal Conqueror

UID 78464
Digest Posts 0
Credits 273
Posts 281
Karma 271
Acceptance 33
Reading Access 30
Registered 8-11-2011
Location USA
Status Offline
Post at 4-1-2012 06:18  Profile P.M. 
Reply #1 southstar's post

Stevens is right but I would go Iphone all the way. Blackberry is overated and trust me I was blackberry whore. If you are not a fan of Iphone go Droid. I give BB one more year before they get bought out. Remember Palms? Same situation. They are hanging on by a thread.
DArtagnan (unofficial Mayor of the Forum)
Master Mongerer

UID 12884
Digest Posts 0
Credits 5034
Posts 4392
Karma 4928
Acceptance 2111
Reading Access 80
Registered 10-7-2008
Location Pitcairn
Status Offline
Post at 4-1-2012 11:10  Profile P.M. 
Reply #1 southstar's post

as far as I can tell what people used to like most about blackberry was the keyboard, which made it very easy to type mails.

BUT

put swype on Android (it's loaded as standard these days, so all you have to do is make sure it's active) and you can type faster on a touch-screen than using two thumbs on a keyboard

If you're on gmail, it's a no-brainer: both gmail and Android come from google, so they're fully interoperable
If you're on Microsoft Exchange, it's also a no-brainer: Google licenced a fully-functional Exchange gateway from Microsoft, so you can use Gmail

so

I'm also seeing bb going the way Palm and Psion did

What most corporate types liked about blackberry is its high level of security, and the fact that it's a 'push' system so you get your email when THEY want you to get it not when YOU choose to download it.  Those two strategic features will ensure it's still alive for a few more years, but I'm noticing companies implementing secure versions of gmail, so ... do the math ...

It's interesting to see the market's being driven by games and toys, not by corporate management interests - and even if you don't plan ever to use a game or a toy, it still means all the $ for future development are going into the platforms that already have games and toys: Android and iOS

Hear Ye!  The Mayor has spoken!
southstar
Musky Member

UID 4768
Digest Posts 0
Credits 175
Posts 125
Karma 170
Acceptance 102
Reading Access 20
Registered 19-11-2007
Status Offline
Post at 4-1-2012 15:15  Profile P.M. 
Thanks for all the thoughts.

Is there anyway to limit roaming charges while travelling to other countries if you carry an Android phone? Right now I understand that unlike Blackberry the Anroid phone and I phone download the whole e-mail and you have to pay very high charges for that privilege, whereas BB only downloads 6 kb per mail and thus limits your charges.

Is there any way to keep roaming low without having to carry two phones, one BB and another Android or I phone.
CunningLinguist
Fucking Legend

UID 49
Digest Posts 0
Credits 10756
Posts 8339
Karma 10654
Acceptance 2039
Reading Access 100
Registered 19-2-2007
Status Offline
Post at 4-1-2012 17:44  Profile P.M. 
Reply #5 southstar's post

Individual attachments to emails are not downloaded unless you choose to do so. So you open your email and read it, and if you want to open an attachment or two, you click again to download them inside the email.

QUOTE:
Originally posted by DArtagnan at 4-1-2012 11:10

If you're on Microsoft Exchange, it's also a no-brainer: Google licenced a fully-functional Exchange gateway from Microsoft, so you can use Gmail

Only complain I have is the calendar sync between MS and Droid - it just doesn't sync properly, especially for recurrences.

My penis mightier than the sword
Loveasia
Carnal Conqueror

UID 18128
Digest Posts 0
Credits 368
Posts 384
Karma 363
Acceptance 91
Reading Access 30
Registered 1-1-2009
Status Offline
Post at 4-1-2012 21:45  Profile P.M. 
I just sold my Nexus S and currently have the Bold 9900 but it is sitting in my drawer at home with the power switched off. I currently use an iPhone 4 and the new Samsung Note. I like both of these more. If you just want to make calls and send messages then you could get the Bold 9900. If you try to do a Google Map search and open street view your phone will pretty much crash and give you a low memory warning and this is with pretty much no applications installed as well.  Bold 9900 has great call quality and a great speakerphone along with great reception and battery life but if you want to do anything else you are better off getting an iPhone 4S or a Samsung Note. If you do a lot of web surfing get the Samsung Note and if you want something that does both well get the iPhone 4S. With the iPhone 4s you can use iChat and chat with anyone in any country for free as long as they have a new iPhone which is pretty much like the Blackberry Messenger. If they do not have an iPhone they most likely have Whatsapp and that application is simply amazing on the iPhone 4S.

If you travel often and don't speak the foreign language you are in you will find that Google Translate is amazing as it is free and offers Audio (you won't get that feature with Blackerry on the Bold 9900). Easy to copy/paste and translate messages from chicks that SMS you in foreign languages

Email on the iPhone 4S is amazing and fast. Much better on the iPhone than the Samsung Note as it is much faster to download emails where it is slower on the Samsung Note. You can link many email accounts very easily on the iPhone 4S which you can not do as easily on the Bold 9900.

[ Last edited by  Loveasia at 4-1-2012 21:46 ]
Master Mongerer

UID 12884
Digest Posts 0
Credits 5034
Posts 4392
Karma 4928
Acceptance 2111
Reading Access 80
Registered 10-7-2008
Location Pitcairn
Status Offline
Post at 4-1-2012 21:45  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by CunningLinguist at 4-1-2012 17:44
calendar sync between MS and Droid...

Did you try to sync MS with Gmail first, then sync droid to Gmail?

Recent Ratings
CunningLinguist   4-1-2012 23:05  Acceptance  +1   Hassle migrating everything to gmail...

southstar
Musky Member

UID 4768
Digest Posts 0
Credits 175
Posts 125
Karma 170
Acceptance 102
Reading Access 20
Registered 19-11-2007
Status Offline
Post at 5-1-2012 00:24  Profile P.M. 
"Roam Save" service from PCCW

The PCCW sales people try to interest me in the so called "Roam Save" service saying with that it is free to call back HK or other places as long as the phone is on wi fi. Has anyone tried this service and how does it work in practice?
TonyToro
Throbbing Titan

UID 37475
Digest Posts 0
Credits 4498
Posts 2853
Karma 4389
Acceptance 2182
Reading Access 70
Registered 7-1-2010
Status Offline
Post at 5-1-2012 22:06  Profile P.M. 
As an owner of Mac lap top (Mac Book Air) and desk top computer (iMac), I surprised many people with my loyalty to Blackberry for my phone. I guess I liked the "feel" of a button and since I used my phone mainly for email (not surfing the net) it made sense.

so my phone contract runs out recently and I get talked into trying an iPhone 4S on the basis if I don't like it I can swap it for the new BB.

Well, I've had 4 - 5 different BBs, from the "Track Wheel" to the "Track Ball" to the "Track Pad"... I've liked each new one better than the last.

But I have to say, for me personally, the iPhone I like better,

For me personally, better looking, better camera, typically Mac style ease of use, an App for EVERYTHING and... although i don't have the secure feeling of a button to push, the iPhone just knows what I meant to type and fixes it for me with far greater accuracy than usual predictive typing.

The best part though, I sync my phone to lap top, and desk top. Address book, calendar, apps all in sync.

Bar Punting in HKG?
[CLICK HERE] FOR DETAILS...
Loveasia
Carnal Conqueror

UID 18128
Digest Posts 0
Credits 368
Posts 384
Karma 363
Acceptance 91
Reading Access 30
Registered 1-1-2009
Status Offline
Post at 5-1-2012 23:05  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by southstar at 4-1-2012 15:15
Thanks for all the thoughts.

Is there anyway to limit roaming charges while travelling to other countries if you carry an Android phone? Right now I understand that unlike Blackberry the Anroid phon ...

I have two phones and travel often. The local phone I take with me the original local SIM card in it and the other phone I use a local SIM card in each country that I visit and just get a DATA plan in the country that I am visiting. It is much cheaper that way. Unlimited Data with 3G is about 400-600 Baht in Thailand for 1 month which is peanuts compared to what you would pay for roaming charges for both Data and local calls so you use one phone to see who is calling you from back home and use the phone with the SIM card of the country that you are visiting to make calls and surf the net.
Master Mongerer

UID 12884
Digest Posts 0
Credits 5034
Posts 4392
Karma 4928
Acceptance 2111
Reading Access 80
Registered 10-7-2008
Location Pitcairn
Status Offline
Post at 6-1-2012 09:55  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by CunningLinguist at  4-1-2012 23:05
  Acceptance          +1          Hassle migrating everything to gmail...

Huh???

have you tried?  

It's as simple as entering in the details of your Exchange account in the IMAP settings, and letting it sync itself.  Takes a few minutes only.