Subject: HIV among gay, bisexual men at alarming highs in Asia
  This thread has been closed by sexyloser at 18-5-2024 08:44. 
5-htp
Erotic Emperor

UID 9935
Digest Posts 0
Credits 2301
Posts 2085
Karma 2294
Acceptance 138
Reading Access 60
Registered 30-3-2008
Location VanDirty
Status Offline
Post at 18-5-2010 04:58  Profile P.M. 
Font size: S M L
HIV among gay, bisexual men at alarming highs in Asia

something i found on my RSS feeds today... link: http://in.reuters.com/article/to ... ntent=Google+Reader

HONG KONG (Reuters) - HIV prevalence among gay and bisexual men has hit alarming levels in Asia and most of them do not have access to services and care due to punitive laws which drive them underground, a U.N.-backed report said on Monday.

The situation may worsen if countries fail to reverse laws that criminalise sex between adult males and cross-dressing, and selectively prosecute gay and bisexual men using public order and prostitution offences, it added.

"Nineteen of 48 countries in the Asia Pacific region criminalise male-to-male sex, and these laws often take on the force of vigilantism, often leading to abuse and human rights violations," according to the report.

"Even where there are no specific offences for male-to-male sex, MSM (men who have sex with men) and transgender people are subject to police abuses and are targeted by police for other offences relating to public order, vagrancy, prostitution and obscenity."

Put together by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), Asia Pacific Coalition on Male Sexual Health (APCPM) and the University of Hong Kong's Center for Comparative and Public Law, the report said HIV prevalence among gay and bisexual men has been rising in many Asian countries.

For example, HIV prevalence among gay and bisexual men in Bangkok was now 30.8 percent compared to 1.4 percent in the adult population in Thailand. In Yangon, the figure was 29.3 percent versus 0.7 percent in Myanmar; while in Mumbai, it was 17 percent versus 0.36 percent in all of India.

Over 90 percent of gay and bisexual men in Asia do not have access to HIV prevention and care services, the report said. It cited examples of repressive laws or lack of anti-discrimination laws preventing these men from getting the help they needed.

These include HIV prevention services being interrupted by police harassment of outreach workers, many of whom are MSM or transgender peer educators. Condoms and lubricants are also confiscated by police as evidence of sex work or of illegal male-to-male sex.

The report urged for the repeal of laws that criminalise sex between men and the enactment of anti-discrimination laws.

"The effectiveness of the HIV response will depend not just on the sustained scale up of HIV prevention, treatment and care, but on whether the legal and social environment support or hinder programmes for those who are most vulnerable" said Mandeep Dhaliwal, UNDP Cluster Leader on Human Rights, Gender & Sexual Diversity.

(Reporting by Tan Ee Lyn)

c'est le jizz
atomic3d
Throbbing Titan

UID 41127
Digest Posts 0
Credits 3282
Posts 2642
Karma 3157
Acceptance 2501
Reading Access 70
Registered 10-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 18-5-2010 07:41  Profile P.M. 
Reply #1 5-htp's post

They should include these guys in Australia's refugee intake. Gay men are usually hard working, highly creative taxpayers who don't require much in the way of child care/schooling for their children. Best of all they make great buddy's for the local women and feminazis without competing for sex and WG's.

I'm drafting a letter to our local member.

[ Last edited by  atomic3d at 18-5-2010 07:57 ]
Jake (The Snake: King of 141)
Master Mongerer

UID 2553
Digest Posts 0
Credits 5607
Posts 3938
Karma 5594
Acceptance 259
Reading Access 80
Registered 20-7-2007
Status Offline
Post at 18-5-2010 12:12  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by 5-htp at 18/5/10 04:58
Over 90 percent of gay and bisexual men in Asia do not have access to HIV prevention  ...  

What's that supposed to mean? The only HIV prevention I know [apart from abstinence] is a condom. Can't gays buy condoms?

Live Life With Passion
joblow
Carnal Conqueror

UID 6567
Digest Posts 0
Credits 265
Posts 248
Karma 265
Acceptance 5
Reading Access 30
Registered 1-1-2008
Status Offline
Post at 18-5-2010 15:52  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by Jake at 18-5-2010 12:12

What's that supposed to mean? The only HIV prevention I know  is a condom. Can't gays buy condoms?

Hmm...I think that might be a misspeak...I think the author meant antiretroviral drugs...just a guess though.

-j
5-htp
Erotic Emperor

UID 9935
Digest Posts 0
Credits 2301
Posts 2085
Karma 2294
Acceptance 138
Reading Access 60
Registered 30-3-2008
Location VanDirty
Status Offline
Post at 19-5-2010 10:55  Profile P.M. 
Reply #4 joblow's post

im a lil lost myself...

didnt know theres "antiretroviral drugs" on the market... hopefully never turn gay or have an hiv problem...

take care

c'est le jizz
joblow
Carnal Conqueror

UID 6567
Digest Posts 0
Credits 265
Posts 248
Karma 265
Acceptance 5
Reading Access 30
Registered 1-1-2008
Status Offline
Post at 19-5-2010 16:31  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by 5-htp at 19-5-2010 10:55
im a lil lost myself...

didnt know theres "antiretroviral drugs" on the market... hopefully never turn gay or have an hiv problem...

take care

There definitely are antiretroviral drugs out there (link). They don't cure AIDS but they merely stunt the debilitating effects of the virus.

-j