Karma 142
Acceptance 20
Reading Access 20
Registered 13-2-2010
Status Offline
Post at 21-12-2011 15:56  Profile P.M. 
Font size: S M L
Exploring the motherland

So Im gonna be visiting HK in March and each time I go, I tack on a trip to China to explore the country, even if the area is touristy. So far Ive been to Shanghai and surrounding areas, Beijing, Xian, and other Silk Road cities linking to Urumqi,and to GZ.

Any suggestions on places to visit, with cultural implications or landscape beauty?

I was thinking of heading to Yunnan this time, but dont know anybody who has actually gone there for travel (only WGs who are supposedly from there).

I speak enuf mandarin to survive and will be travelling with a buddy who can speak different Chinese dialects.

Any ideas?
priapus
Lustful Lord

UID 61865
Digest Posts 0
Credits 631
Posts 433
Karma 622
Acceptance 178
Reading Access 40
Registered 8-3-2011
Status Offline
Post at 24-12-2011 09:30  Profile P.M. 
In my opinion, Yunan isn't all that spectacular.  Then again I was there many many years when the province was only starting to get serious tourist buzz.

Honestly the best part of my trip were the hottie female tour guides.  Wouldn't be surprised if they were part-time WGs.  Man, that was a long time ago.
Grimlock
Musky Member

UID 39786
Digest Posts 0
Credits 143
Posts 130
Karma 142
Acceptance 20
Reading Access 20
Registered 13-2-2010
Status Offline
Post at 24-12-2011 17:06  Profile P.M. 
Any other place you'd recommend instead? I'm a part-time photographer so would love some suggestions of places with gorgeous landscapes etc
kaka (YaYa PaPaYa)
Godfather of Hole

UID 4484
Digest Posts 0
Credits 8232
Posts 4486
Karma 8093
Acceptance 2775
Reading Access 90
Registered 15-11-2007
Location China
Status Offline
Post at 24-12-2011 23:36  Profile P.M. 
try Chang Bai Shan in Jilin.
The Heaven Lake is worth the climb.
Absolutely breathtaking, if you lucky enough to see it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven_lake

Attachment: Your usergroup does not have permission to access attachments

priapus
Lustful Lord

UID 61865
Digest Posts 0
Credits 631
Posts 433
Karma 622
Acceptance 178
Reading Access 40
Registered 8-3-2011
Status Offline
Post at 28-12-2011 10:05  Profile P.M. 
Reply #3 Grimlock's post

Don't let me dissuade your from going to Yunan.  If it's landscape beauty you're after then Yunan is where it's at.  Just don't expect to be wow'ed and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I remember going on a three gorges river boat ride back and thinking it was completely overhyped.  Basically Ifeel no tourist spectacle in China is all it's cracked up to be EXCEPT the terra cotta soldiers in xi'an.  Now THAT really took my breath away.
tfhalfjp
Kinky King

UID 44557
Digest Posts 0
Credits 1147
Posts 284
Karma 1138
Acceptance 180
Reading Access 50
Registered 10-5-2010
Status Offline
Post at 28-12-2011 11:22  Profile P.M. 
I think that it is pretty interesting to go to Dandong.  This might sound crazy, but I thought it was neat to see the contrast between China and North Korea, which is right there on the Yalu river in Dandong.  There is also supposed to be a remote part of the Great Wall nearby...I think it's called Tiger Mountain.  Also, near Shanghai is the city of
Hangzhou... beautiful around the West Lake area.
doghead (dog)
Erotic Emperor

UID 16705
Digest Posts 0
Credits 2985
Posts 2230
Karma 2893
Acceptance 1832
Reading Access 60
Registered 2-12-2008
Status Offline
Post at 28-12-2011 14:33  Profile P.M. 
Reply #5 priapus's post

The problem with the Three Gorges is that all that hype in the guide books and the history books was true before the govt built the first major dam on the Yangtze River in the 50s. Every time a dam is built on a river, the waters behind it are raised. With the new Three Gorges dam, the water has been raised even higher that it is difficult for anyone to believe that the riversides were once very treacherous, steep, and river very narrow.

During the World War 2, one of the reasons the KMT moved the central government to Chongqing was that in those days, the Yangtze River was really treacherous, narrow, and very fast moving. It was those treacherous conditions that made the city easy to defend against any potential Japanese attack via the river.
Grimlock
Musky Member

UID 39786
Digest Posts 0
Credits 143
Posts 130
Karma 142
Acceptance 20
Reading Access 20
Registered 13-2-2010
Status Offline
Post at 28-12-2011 15:06  Profile P.M. 
Been to Hangzhou and yeah the West Lake area was gorgeous. Really wish I had more time to explore there but I was with some buddies and we needed to get back to Shanghai for some poontime lol.

I don't think I'll be heading up to North China this time, but those pics of Heaven Lake are definitely enticing me for a trip there!

Xi'an is an amazing city and the Terra Cotta Warriors were the main reasons I went on my trip there.

Some other places that I thought were amazing were the Mogao Caves (Caves of the Thousand Buddhas) in Gansu, and the Qinghai Lake. Compared to the Terra Cotta Warriors, I thought the Mogao Caves were more impressive due to the remoteness of the area.

China is doing a much better job or preserving UNESCO designated areas although at the cost making these areas too touristy.

Sichuan could be an option too.
triplehorn
Nookie Newbie

UID 79042
Digest Posts 0
Credits 63
Posts 62
Karma 62
Acceptance 26
Reading Access 10
Registered 16-11-2011
Status Offline
Post at 3-1-2012 17:16  Profile P.M. 
After the lakes how about tryin the mountains?
HuangShan city in Anhui province, The Yellow Mountains is one of the most famous and beautiful mountains in China. It was enlisted as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1990. Outstanding natural beauty is Huangshan's number one feature. Yellow Mountain's classic attractions could be counted as: the imaginatively named pines, oddly-shaped rocks, the sea of clouds, hot springs and winter snowscapes

Recent Ratings
doghead   4-1-2012 02:43  Acceptance  +1   Most amazing sight was watching sun pop through clouds at sunrise!